Teyana Taylor Information (Person)
Teyana Me Shay Jacqueli Taylor 
December 10, 1990
New York City, U.S.
( m. 2016)
Teyana Me Shay Jacqueli Shumpert ( née Taylor; born December 10, 1990)  is an American singer, actress, dancer, choreographer, and model.  In 2005, she signed a record deal with Pharrell Williams' Star Trak Entertainment imprint, before making her first national appearance on MTV's My Super Sweet 16. In 2012, she signed to Kanye West's GOOD Music label through Def Jam, after asking for her release from Star Trak.  As a songwriter, Taylor has also written records for artists such as Usher, Chris Brown, and Omarion.  Taylor has appeared on runways during Fashion Week and has also landed high-profile features, such as on Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. She stars in the VH1 reality television show Teyana and Iman, alongside her husband, basketball player Iman Shumpert. 
Taylor was born on December 10, 1990, to Nikki Taylor and Tito Smith, in Harlem, New York City. She is of African-American and African-Trinidadian descent. Taylor is her mother's only child while her father has two sons and another daughter from a different relationship. Her mother raised her and is currently her manager. 
In September 2006, 15-year-old Teyana Taylor was credited as the choreographer on the music video for American entertainer Beyoncé's hit single, " Ring the Alarm".   In January 2007, Taylor signed a deal to join American recording artist and record producer Pharrell Williams' Star Trak Entertainment label, through Interscope Records.    In February 2007, Taylor first came into the public's awareness through her episode on MTV's My Super Sweet Sixteen, a show depicting over-the-top birthday parties for rich teenagers. In 2007, Taylor appeared in the music video for Jay-Z's single, " Blue Magic", where she can be seen dancing and popping. 
In February 2008, Taylor released her commercial debut single, called " Google Me".  The song was released as the lead single for her debut full-length project, which is her debut mixtape, titled From a Planet Called Harlem. The tape, released August 16, 2009, features production from Jazze Pha, Pharrell, Mad Scientist, Frost, Shondre and Hit-Boy, among others. The tape also features "a mix of throwback break beats, futuristic boom bap, and melodic renderings is the perfect backdrop for the starlet's musical mayhem."  "Google Me" reached at number 90 on the US Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. The tape was also released for free download, billed as "the mixtape before her debut album". 
In August 2010, Taylor, ventured her career into acting, appearing in the sequel of Stomp the Yard, titled Stomp the Yard: Homecoming.  She also appeared on the debut episode of House of Glam on Oxygen, which aired in October 2010. In 2010, just hours before Kanye West's fifth album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, had to be turned in, West called Taylor to the studio to look at some of her fashion pieces. While in the studio, Taylor was determined to make the appearance on West's fifth album. She purposefully hummed along with the tracks he played for her, to get his attention. He eventually asked her to put her vocals on a few tracks, notably " Dark Fantasy" and " Hell of a Life". Upon recalling the experience of recording "Dark Fantasy", Taylor stated that "at the time it was pretty empty, just verses." She remembers that West "put [her] in another room by [herself] and said, 'Go'." Taylor came back with the "intro and chorus," and "did all the scratches and the cuts [herself]." She admitted that she was nervous upon letting West hear her contributions to the tracks, trying to cover her nervousness by stating that she "hadn't been in the studio for so long." 
In 2010, Taylor contributed on one of the GOOD Music's GOOD Friday tracks, titled " Christmas In Harlem". The track was released as a shortened version of the single to the iTunes Store on December 17, 2010, which features guest appearances from American rappers Cyhi the Prynce and West.  In 2010, Taylor, alongside fellow American rapper Bow Wow, were offered their roles for Tyler Perry's play-turned-film Madea's Big Happy Family, the fifth installment in Perry's series, which was released on April 22, 2011.  Taylor delved back into music and was featured on the hook of the single, called "Party Tonight", alongside these fellow rappers Randyn Julius, Jim Jones and Cam'ron.  Randyn Julius was later enlisted for Junior Reid to do his part to the remix to the track. 
In January 2012, it was announced Taylor would be granted her release from the contract with Interscope and Star Trak.    Taylor stated that she and Star Trak founder Pharrell Williams, have remained amicable since the end of their business relationship. She has credited him as a "big brother" and sees her early signing to Star Trak as a "blessing."  Taylor has stated on many occasions that her release from the label was necessary because she wanted to have a level of independence in the music industry. In an interview with DJ Skee, Taylor mentioned that "when [she] was signed for six years, [she] felt like she couldn't do [anything]," and that she "couldn't prove to [her] fans that [she] had the talent" and "couldn't sing from [her] heart."  As an independent artist at the time of her release, she had begun preparing her second release, a mixtape titled The Misunderstanding of Teyana Taylor. The mixtape drew influences from 1990s R&B legends like Lauryn Hill and Mary J. Blige.  The tape was released in the first half of 2012, and was preceded by the release of "Make Your Move" (feat. Wale)  and "D.U.I." (feat. Jadakiss & Fabolous), which was released on February 25, 2012. More positive reviews of the latter track note that "The Harlem songstress channels Janet Jackson as she glides over the smooth Hit-Boy-produced beat with her airy vocals, while fellow New Yorkers Fabolous and Jadakiss ride shotgun". 
After taking some time to find herself as an independent artist, Taylor signed a joint-venture deal with Kanye West's label GOOD Music and The Island Def Jam Music Group, on June 14, 2012.  As part of GOOD Music, Taylor appears on the GOOD Music compilation album Cruel Summer, released September 18, 2012.  She provides vocals for the opening track "To the World", with Kanye West and R. Kelly, provides the hook and chorus for "Sin City", which also features John Legend, Cyhi the Prynce, Malik Yusef and Travis Scott, and also duets with John Legend on a song titled "Bliss".  Taylor and Legend's duet on the album was highly praised, with Erika Ramirez of Billboard noting that "Taylor's beautifully brash voice ... illuminates in the electric-guitar heavy, Hudson Mohawke-produced 'Bliss'." 
In addition to being featured on the GOOD Music compilation Cruel Summer, Taylor soon began the process of recording her major-label debut album, to be released eventually through GOOD Music and The Island Def Jam Music Group.  On July 27, 2014, via Twitter, Taylor announced the title of her debut studio album to be VII and revealed it would be released on November 4, through Def Jam and GOOD Music.   The album debuted at number 19 on the Billboard 200, selling 16,000 copies in the United States in its first week. 
Taylor was set to be a judge on the eighth season of the American competitive dance reality television series, America's Best Dance Crew, which aired its first episode on July 29, 2015, on MTV.  On August 25, Taylor released The Cassette Tape 1994, paying tribute to the iconic 90s sound and includes many samples from 90s hits. 
On June 17, 2016, Taylor released her single "Freak On", featuring guest vocals from Chris Brown and production by DJ Mustard. It samples " Freak Like Me" by Adina Howard.  Taylor announced that it would be the lead single from her upcoming second studio album. On August 28, 2016, at the MTV Video Music Awards, Kanye West released the world premiere of the music video for his single, " Fade", which features Taylor performing a dance routine, in a likeness to the 1983 film Flashdance.  The video, directed by Eli Russell Linnetz, features Taylor dancing throughout a gymnasium and there is also an appearance by her husband, Iman Shumpert.  Taylor's album K.T.S.E., an acronym for "keep that same energy," was the last of G.O.O.D. Music's seven-song album rollout and was released on June 22, 2018.  An updated version of the album was supposed to be released, but Taylor announced that plans were canceled for it. 
Taylor released a collaboration single with fellow R&B singer Kehlani called " Morning" in November 2019.   On December 6, 2019, Taylor released the single " We Got Love".  On May 7, 2020, Taylor announced that her third studio album is titled The Album and would be released sometime in June 2020.  It was released on June 19, with the 23-track album featuring guest appearances by Erykah Badu, Kehlani, Lauryn Hill, Future, Rick Ross, Quavo, and Missy Elliott.  The album was awarded 3.5/5 stars by The Forty-Five, saying The Album "finds the veteran performer firmly reclaiming her own narrative". It debuted at number 8 on the Billboard 200, earning Taylor her first top 10 album. 
On December 4, 2020, Taylor seemingly announced her retirement from making music via her Instagram page. A few days later, she explained the post was directed at her record label as she continued clarifying her frustration with their lack of support, "Baby, I gotta do it for my mental health. I have to do it for my emotional health. I have to do it for my kids, so I can stay alive for my kids. Until I'm free, until I can get [Def Jam] to release me, yes I want to retire."  She later stated much of the frustration leading to retirement could be traced back to her label undervaluing her, but she would not be retiring for good. 
In 2013, Taylor signed a deal to design and release two pairs of sneakers with Adidas. The first pair released were the Harlem GLC's which hit stores February 16 the same year. According to Adidas Global Director of Entertainment and Influence Marketing, Jonathan Wexler, Taylor currently holds the record for fastest selling sneakers in Adidas Originals history.  She is currently focused on designing and releasing her second pair of sneakers with the brand.  In March 2017, Teyana Taylor launched her "Fade 2 Fit" Workout Program, a ninety-day workout which centers around dance and fitness routines. The inspiration for this program and the incorporated dance elements come from her work in the music video for Kanye West's "Fade". She also released a line of workout apparel, also called Fade2Fit. In May 2019, Taylor featured and directed the music video for Lil Durk's remix of Home Body in his new album Signed to the Streets 3. 
In 2022, Taylor competed in season seven of The Masked Singer as "Firefly" of Team Good. Her performance of Chaka Khan's " Ain't Nobody" had to be cut short when she started coughing due to a mask malfunction and had to be taken to an on-site medical staff to be treated causing "Ram" of Team Bad to be sent on to do his performance. After recovering, Taylor resumed the performance of the song. During the finals, Taylor was declared the winner where it was also mentioned that her husband Iman Shumpert had recently won season 30 of Dancing with the Stars. At 31 years old, she became the youngest winner in the show's history. 
On September 20, 2016, on The Wendy Williams Show, Taylor revealed that she and Shumpert had "maybe" married secretly, but the couple did not actually wed until October 1, 2016, approximately two weeks after the interview.  
On December 4, 2020, Taylor announced her retirement from music via her Instagram page, in part due to having felt "under appreciated" and "overlooked" citing "I'm retiring this chapter of my story with the comfort that I can depart with peace of mind seeing that all the hard work & passion put in was indeed loved & supported somewhere in the world!"  
|2010||Stomp the Yard: Homecoming||Rena|
|2011||Madea's Big Happy Family||Sabrina|
|2012||Gang of Roses II: Next Generation||Candi Baxter|
|2013||The Love Section||Steph|
|2018||Honey: Rise Up and Dance||Skyler|
|The After Party||Bl'asia|
|2021||Coming 2 America||Bopoto|
|2007||My Super Sweet 16||Herself||Episode: "Teyana Taylor"|
|2008||It's Showtime at the Apollo||Herself||Episode: "Teyana Taylor"|
|2015||America's Best Dance Crew||Herself/Judge||Season 8|
|2016||Fashion Police||Herself/Guest||Episode: "2016 American Music Awards"|
|2017||The Breaks||Imani X||Recurring Cast|
|Ridiculousness||Herself||Episode: "Teyana Taylor"|
|2017–18||Hip Hop Squares||Herself||4 Episodes|
|Star||Joyce Sheree||Recurring Cast: Season 2, Guest: Season 3|
|2018||Hit the Floor||London Scott||Main Cast: Season 4|
|The Hollywood Puppet Show||Herself||Episode: "Teyana Taylor and Jhene Aiko"|
|The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon||Herself/Musical Guest||Episode: "Daniel Radcliffe/Matt Czuchry/Teyana Taylor/Aerosmith"|
|The Real||Herself/Guest Co-Host||Episode: "Teyana Taylor/Special Expanded Girl Chat/Snitched"|
|Saturday Night Live||Herself||Episode: "Adam Driver/Kanye West"|
|Teyana & Iman||Herself||Main Cast|
|2019||Complex Con(versations)||Herself||Episode: "Women in Streetwear"|
|The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Herself/Musical Guest||Episode: "Lily Tomlin/Rob Delaney/Sharon Horgan/Teyana Taylor"|
|Rhythm + Flow||Herself||Episode: "Collaborations"|
|2020||Barkitecture||Herself||Episode: "Teyana Taylor: Doggy Duplex"|
|2021||We Got Love Teyana & Iman||Herself||Main Cast|
|Dancing with the Stars||Herself||Episode: "Grease Night"|
|2022||The Masked Singer||Herself||Contestant and winner (Firefly) on Season 7|
|Entergalactic||Boxing Coach||Voice; Main Cast|
|Award||Year [A]||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Category||Result||Ref.|
|BET Awards||2019||Herself||Best Female R&B/Pop Artist||Nominated|||
|Rose in Harlem||BET Her Award||Nominated|
|2020||Herself||Video Director of the Year||Won|||
|BET Hip Hop Awards||2020||Herself||Video Director of the Year||Won|||
|MTV Video Music Awards||2017||Fade||Best Choreography||Won|||
|Soul Train Music Awards||2019||WTP||Best Dance Performance||Nominated|||
|2020||Bare With Me||Best Dance Performance||Nominated|||
- Taylor in
Teyana Taylor Asks Iman Shumpert 30 Questions (
YouTube). GQ. July 23, 2019. Event occurs at 10:08.
What is my middle name? Me Shay Jacqueli.
- Teyana Taylor (June 1, 2013). "TEYANA M.J. SHUMPERT on Twitter: "Do I have to put my real name to get my vine Verified!!!!??? I love my jimmy Neutch name tho. 😤😒 someone help"". Twitter. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Aaron A. (August 1, 2019). "ScHoolboy Q, YG & Ty Dolla $ign Turn Up The Drive-In For "Lies" Video". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Mitchell, Gail (November 12, 2020). "Kehlani, Jhené Aiko, Teyana Taylor and Summer Walker on the State of R&B". Billboard. Retrieved July 19, 2021.
- "Teyana Taylor". TimeOut. Sydney. Retrieved July 19, 2021.
- Rose, Anna (December 5, 2020). "Teyana Taylor has announced her retirement from music". NME. Retrieved July 19, 2021.
- "Please Take A Look Inside Teyana Taylor, And Imman Shumpert's Glamorous World With A Sneak Peek At Their New E! Show". Amico Hoops. June 21, 2021. Retrieved July 19, 2021.
- "Happy Birthday To New Rochelles Teyana Taylor". New Rochelle Daily Voice. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Petrarca, Emilia. "Everything You Need to Know About Teyana Taylor, the Dancer in Kanye West's "Fade" She is also famous for her brand new movie in the Eddie Murphy film Coming 2 America as Bopoto Izzi Video". W Magazine. Retrieved June 4, 2018.
- "Teyana Taylor Signs to Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music". Rap-Up.com. May 14, 2012. Retrieved July 23, 2012.
- "Career 4". Urbanewsroom.com.
- "Edgemagazinesite Resources and Information". Ww1.edgemagazinesite.com.
- "Early Life 1". Urbannewsroom.com.
- "13 Things to Know About Teyana Taylor, the Star of Kanye West's New Music Video for "Fade"". August 29, 2016.
- "Teyana Taylor Music Videos as Choreographer – IMVDb".
- "Teyana Taylor Biography – AOL Music". Music.aol.com. December 31, 1969. Archived from the original on March 18, 2011. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "TEYANA TAYLOR DROPS HER DEBUT ALBUM, 'FROM A PLANET CALLED HARLEM' IN MAY". Skope Magazine. Skope Entertainment Inc. March 31, 2008. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- "New Music To Know: Teyana Taylor is the Young R&B Diva, Seven Years in the Making". Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- "Google Me – Single by Teyana Taylor". Itunes.apple.com. January 2008. Retrieved December 17, 2010.
- "Career 2". Sing365.com.
- "Teyana Taylor – Star Trak Presents.....From A Planet Called Harlem // Free Mixtape". DatPiff. Idle Media Inc. August 16, 2009. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- capone666 (January 25, 2011). "Stomp the Yard: Homecoming (2010)". IMDb. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Wete, Brad (August 3, 2012). "Interview: Teyana Taylor Talks Joining G.O.O.D. Music, Influencing Fashion & Being Doubted". Complex.com.
- "Christmas In Harlem – Single". Itunes.apple.com. January 2010. Retrieved December 17, 2010.
- "Trailer: Teyana Taylor, Bow Wow Star in 'Madea's Big Happy Family'". Rap-Up.com.
- "Randyn Julius – Party Tonight feat. Jim Jones, Cam'Ron, Teyana Taylor & Alphared (Duane DaRock) | The Neptunes #1 fan site, all about Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo". Theneptunes.org. August 2, 2011.
- Hip Hop Singles. Hiphopdx.com
- "Teyana Taylor Released from Star Trak/Interscope, Readies Free EP". Rap-Up.com. January 17, 2012. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "News – Teyana Taylor Officially Released from Pharrell's Star Trak Label – Singersroom.com". Singersroom. January 17, 2012. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Teyana Taylor explains why she asked to be released from Pharrell's Star Trak. YouTube. May 2, 2012. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Universe, Sway. "Teyana Taylor explains why she asked to be released from Pharrell's". YouTube.com. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- Skee, DJ. "Interview: Teyana Taylor Talks Star Trak, Wale, Meek Mill & More with DJ Skee". YouTube.com. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Wete, Brad. "Interview: Teyana Taylor Talks Joining G.O.O.D. Music, Influencing Fashion & Being Doubted". complex.com/music/. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "STREAM/DOWNLOAD: Teyana Taylor ft. Fabolous & Jadakiss – D.U.I." Under the Gun Review. February 25, 2012. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "New Music: Teyana Taylor f/ Fabolous & Jadakiss – 'D.U.I.'". Rap-Up.com. February 25, 2012. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- Alexis, Nadeska. "Teyana Taylor Is G.O.O.D. Music's 'Spoiled Brat'". MTV.com. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "Kanye West Presents Good Music Cruel Summer". apple.com. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- Ramirez, Erika (September 18, 2012). "G.O.O.D. Music, 'Cruel Summer': Track-By-Track Review". billboard.com. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- McGloster, Niki. "Teyana Taylor: G.O.O.D. Girl, Urban Chic". vibevixen.com. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- "TEYANA M.J. TAYLOR on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- "GOOD Music News on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved June 14, 2015.
- Mendizabal, Amaya (November 13, 2014). "Teyana Taylor Debuts at No. 1 on Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums". Billboard. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "Meet The Six All-Star Crews Vying To Be 'America's Best Dance Crew'". MTV.com. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Leight, Elias (August 25, 2015). "Stream Teyana Taylor's Cassette Tape 1994 EP". The FADER. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "Teyana Taylor And Chris Brown Throw It Back With "Freak On"". Thefader.com.
- "Teyana Taylor, The Girl In Kanye's Racy 'Fade' Video, Was An Early MTV Star". MTV.
- "Kanye West Just Surprise-Dropped His New 'Fade' Video At The VMAs". MTV.
- Maicki, Salvatore (June 22, 2018). "Stream Teyana Taylor's KTSE album release party". The FADER. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- "Teyana Taylor Says There Will Not Be a New Version of Her Album 'K.T.S.E.'". Billboard, LLC. July 2, 2018.
- "Teyana Taylor and Kehlani Seduce Each Other 'Til the 'Morning' in Sexy New Track and Visual: Watch". Billboard. November 2019. Retrieved November 1, 2019.
- "Teyana Taylor Drops Sensual Video for Kehlani-Assisted Track "Morning"". Complex. Retrieved November 1, 2019.
- Spanos, Brittany (December 6, 2019). "Teyana Taylor Compares Her Family to the Obamas on 'We Got Love'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Taylor, Teyana (May 8, 2020). "The Album – June 2020 @TEYANATAYLOR third album features the one and only @fatbellybella. Stay tune for morepic.twitter.com/4la4hlSje3". @TeyanaSkyrock. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Hussey, Allison (June 16, 2020). "Listen to Teyana Taylor's New Album Ft. Erykah Badu, Missy Elliott, More". Pitchfork. Retrieved June 19, 2020.
- Caulfield, Keith (June 28, 2020). "Lil Baby's 'My Turn' Clocks in a Fourth Week at No. 1 on Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved June 29, 2020.
- Peters, Mitchell (December 6, 2020). "Teyana Taylor Confirms Comments About Her Retirement From Music: 'I Don't Want To Do This Anymore'". Billboard. Retrieved December 7, 2020.
- "Teyana Taylor Explains Why She Decided to Announce Retirement From Music, Cites Frustrations With Label". Complex.
- "Jonathan Wexler twitter". Twitter. February 16, 2013. Archived from the original on September 21, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2013. Alt URL
- "Teyana Taylor Talks Her Adidas Harlem GLC Sneaker, Being The Top Female Sneakerhead with HHS1987 (Video)", Hip Hop Since 1987, February 15, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Lil Durk "Home Body" (Remix) Directed by Teyana Taylor". Flaunt Magazine. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- "'The Masked Singer' Finale: Fans Think They Know Who's Behind Firefly". The Blast. May 18, 2022. Retrieved May 19, 2022.
- Dwyer, Kelly (December 17, 2015). "Iman Shumpert delivered his daughter all on his own". Yahoo.com. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- French, Megan (September 21, 2016). "Teyana Taylor Reveals She's Married To Iman Shumpert". Usmagazine.com. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Muhammad, Latifah (September 21, 2016). "Teyana Taylor Reveals She's Already Married To Iman Shumpert". Etonline.com. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Elassar, Alaa (June 13, 2020). "Teyana Taylor reveals pregnancy in a new music video". CNN. CNN.com.
- Tracy, Brianne (June 12, 2020). "Teyana Taylor and Husband Iman Shumpert Expecting Second Daughter: 'We're Very Excited'". People.
- "Teyana Taylor pregnant: Singer confirms baby news and reveals gender". Capital Xtra. Retrieved June 15, 2020.
- Lisa Respers France (September 8, 2020). "Teyana Taylor gives birth in her bathroom again". Cable News Network. CNN.com. Retrieved October 12, 2020.
- Theresa Braine (September 8, 2020). "Teyana Taylor and Iman Shumpert's daughter born in bathroom, second time for couple". New York Daily News. nydailynews.com. Retrieved October 12, 2020.
- "Here Are All the Winners From the 2019 BET Awards". Billboard. June 23, 2019.
- "BET AWARDS '20". BET. June 28, 2020.
- "Pitchfork". October 28, 2020.
- "Here Are All the Winners From the 2017 MTV VMAs". Billboard. August 27, 2017.
- "Soul Train Awards". BET. November 17, 2019.
- "H.E.R. & Chris Brown Lead 2020 Soul Train Awards Nominations: Here's the Complete List". Billboard. November 11, 2020.
- Indicates the year of ceremony. Each year is linked to the article about the awards held that year, wherever possible.