A filmography is a list of films related by some criteria. For example, an actor's career filmography is the list of films they have appeared in; a director's comedy filmography is the list of comedy films directed by a particular director. The term, which has been in use since at least 1957,  is modeled on and analogous to " bibliography", a list of books. As lists filmographies are distinct from the cinematic arts of " videography" and " cinematography" which refer to the processes themselves, and which are analogous to photography instead.
Filmographies are not limited to associations with particular people. For example, the Handbook of American Film Genres ( 1988, ISBN 0-313-24715-3) includes "19 substantive essays on major American film genres", each accompanied by a "valuable selected filmography."  In 1998, the University of Washington sponsored a university-wide "All Powers Project" which assembled a filmography of films related to the Cold War Red Scare, which consisted of " motion pictures that played a role in fueling the Red Scare, in propagandizing the threat of Communism and in a few rare and rather veiled cases, in standing up to the charges of the House Committee on Un-American Activities." 
Another example is the filmography published by a library director at Brigham Young University–Idaho of over 500 films "that in some significant or memorable way include a library or librarian", a filmography assembled to better understand Hollywood's stereotypes of librarians.  The Georgia Department of Economic Development, whose responsibilities include promoting film production in the U.S. state of Georgia, maintains a filmography of such films. 
- "Filmography". Merriam-Webster. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "Film Reference Sources: A Selective Guide". UC Berkeley Library. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "The Red Scare: A Filmography". University of Washington Libraries. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Martin H. Raish. "Librarians in the Movies — An Annotated Filmography". Brigham Young University–Idaho. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "Georgia Filmography". Georgia Department of Economic Development. Archived from the original on 2011-02-23. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Gebauer, Dorothea and Harriet W. Harrison. Bibliography of National Filmographies. Brussels: FIAF, 1985 80p.
- Summers, Howard. The Guide To Movie Lists: Filmographies of the World. Borehamwood: Howcom Services, 2018 ISBN 978-1-5499-4022-4 401p.
- Summers, Howard. The Guide To Movie Lists 2: Genres, Subjects and Themes. Borehamwood: Howcom Services, 2018 ISBN 978-1-982904-72-2 418p.
- Summers, Howard. The Guide To Movie Lists 3: Appendices. Borehamwood: Howcom Services, 2018 ISBN 978-1-983366-14-7 116p.