Economy of Dorset
Historically, agriculture has dominated the Dorset economy, but over time it has decreased in importance. Dorset was the birthplace of the trade union movement, with the Tolpuddle Martyrs hailing from the county.
Being a coastal county, smuggling has been a dominant part of the Dorset economy with the Battle of Mudeford being fought in 1784 at Mudeford Quay, Mudeford, Christchurch. Fleet and Kinson were also home to smugglers. 
Dorset is home to RM Poole,
- BBC. "Smugglers Cove - in Kinson?". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- "Second lockdown 'a potential massive blow' to Dorset economy amid business fears". Dorset Echo. Retrieved 2021-01-20.
- "Coronavirus report: Dorset will suffer badly due to effects on economy, education and health". Bridport and Lyme Regis News. Retrieved 2021-01-20.
- "Dorset's Environmental Economy" (PDF). Dorset County Council: 118. 2015.
- "Poole Tourism". 2008-09-28. Archived from the original on 2008-09-28. Retrieved 2021-01-20.
- "Dorset Innovation Park | Enterprise Zones". Retrieved 2021-01-20.
- "Tourism crucial to Dorset's economic recovery". Dorset LEP. Retrieved 2021-01-20.