|Hooded pitohui (Pitohui dichrous)|
Pitohui is a genus of birds endemic to New Guinea. The birds formerly lumped together as pitohuis were found by a 2008 study that examined their evolutionary history on the basis of the genetic sequences to have included birds that were quite unrelated to each other. They have since been separated into other genera.
The common group name pitohui includes several species of birds that were all historically classified in the genus Pitohui. But now they have been separated into three families and multiple genera. The genus Pitohui in its strict sense is now placed in the family Oriolidae, while the other pitohui genera have been placed in the families Oreoicidae and Pachycephalidae.  
|Image||Common Name||Scientific name||Distribution|
|Northern variable pitohui||Pitohui kirhocephalus||New Guinea|
|Raja Ampat pitohui||Pitohui cerviniventris||western Papuan Islands of New Guinea.|
|Southern variable pitohui||Pitohui uropygialis||New Guinea|
|Hooded pitohui||Pitohui dichrous||New Guinea.|
Species that were formerly sometimes placed incorrectly in the genus Pitouhi include the following:
- Crested pitohui (Ornorectes cristatus, Family Oreoicidae, formerly placed as Pitohui cristatus) 
- Black pitohui (Melanorectes nigrescens, Family Pachycephalidae, formerly placed as Pitohui nigrescens) 
- White-bellied pitohui (Pseudorectes incertus, Family Pachycephalidae, formerly placed as Pitohui incertus) 
- Rusty pitohui (Pseudorectes ferrugineus, Family Pachycephalidae, formerly placed as Pitohui ferrugineus) 
- Morningbird (Pachycephala tenebrosa, Family Pachycephalidae, formerly placed as Pitohui tenebrosus or as Colluricincla tenebrosa) 
- Dumbacher, J; Deiner, K; Thompson, L; Fleischer, R (2008). "Phylogeny of the avian genus Pitohui and the evolution of toxicity in birds". Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 49 (3): 774–781. doi: 10.1016/j.ympev.2008.09.018. PMID 18929671.
- Dumbacher, John P. (2014). "A taxonomic revision of the genus Pitohui Lesson, 1831 (Oriolidae), with historical notes on names" (PDF). Bull.B.O.C. 134 (1): 19–22.
- "Orioles, drongos & fantails " IOC World Bird List". www.worldbirdnames.org. Retrieved 2017-01-30.
- "Ornorectes cristatus - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2017-01-30.
- "Melanorectes nigrescens - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2017-01-30.
- "Pseudorectes incertus - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2017-01-30.
- "Pseudorectes ferrugineus - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2017-01-30.
- "Pachycephala tenebrosa - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2017-02-13.