Croaker Landing Archaeological Site (44JC70)
Panorama of Croaker Landing, taken in 2011
|Nearest city||Croaker, Virginia|
YORK RIVER STATE PARK Latitude and Longitude:
|Area||2,531 acres (1,024 ha) |
|NRHP reference #||87000753 |
|Added to NRHP||May 14, 1987|
|Designated VLR||March 17, 1987 |
The York River is formed from the confluence of the Mattaponi River and the Pamunkey River at West Point. The York River empties into the Chesapeake Bay about 30 miles downstream from Croaker Landing.
In the state park, the historical Croaker Landing is an archaeological site listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1987. The name "Croaker" is believed to have derived from the abundant quantity of Atlantic croaker (Micropogonias undulatus), an inshore, bottom-dwelling fish found in the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the York River. The site contains evidence of Native American habitation throughout the Woodland period (c. 1000 B.C. - A.D. 1600).  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. 
The town of Croaker was known in its early history as Taskinas Plantation. It was the site of a 17th and 18th century public tobacco warehouse where local planters stored their crops to be shipped to England.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "York River State Park". Virginia State Parks. Commonwealth of Virginia. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Calder Loth, ed. (1999). The Virginia Landmarks Register: Croaker Landing Archaeological Site (p. 240).CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list ( link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to York River State Park.|
- York River State Park
- Friends of York River State Park
- Virtual Tours of York River State Park
- Taskinas Plantation
|This article about a property in James City County, Virginia on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a protected area in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|