This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)
City of Vero Beach, Florida
Where the Tropics Begin
Location in Indian River County and the state of Florida
VERO BEACH FLORIDA Latitude and Longitude:
|Incorporated (Vero Beach)||1925|
|• City||13.34 sq mi (34.56 km2)|
|• Land||11.44 sq mi (29.63 km2)|
|• Water||1.91 sq mi (4.93 km2) 14.31%|
|Elevation||13 ft (4 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,464.38/sq mi (565.42/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 ( Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer ( DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
32960 thru 32969
|FIPS code||12-74150 |
|GNIS feature ID||0292760 |
- 1 Demographics
- 2 Geography
- 3 History
- 4 Economy
- 5 Infrastructure
- 6 Notable people
- 7 Education
- 8 References
- 9 External links
|U.S. Decennial Census |
As of the 2010 census,   there were 15,220 people, 7,505 households, and 3,946 families residing in the city. There were 10,258 housing units. The racial makeup of the city was 87.5% White, 4.8% Black, 0.30% Native American, 1.8% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 3.7% from other races, and 1.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.7% of the population.
There were 7,505 households out of which 16.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.2% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 47.4% were non-families. 19.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older with 4.8% being 85 years and older. The average household size was 2.01 and the average family size was 2.65.
In the city the population was spread out with 14.1% under the age of 16, 84.1% over 18, 4.3% from 15 to 19, 4.9% from 20 to 24, 5.5% from 20 to 25 and 29.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 50.9 years.
For every 100 females, there were 92.8 males. The population consists of 51.3% female and 48.7% male.
Vero Beach has a humid subtropical climate, with hot and humid summers and warm, sunny, and dry winters. The average annual temperature is 72.7 °F, with an annual high temperature of 81.4 °F and an annual low temperature of 64 °F. On average Vero Beach is frost free. 
|Climate data for Vero Beach, Florida (1980-2010)|
|Average high °F (°C)||72.8
|Average low °F (°C)||50.4
|Average precipitation inches (mm)||2.3
|Source: USA.com |
This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. ( Learn how and when to remove these template messages)( Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A neolithic skull was discovered in 1915, but it has since been misplaced. It appeared to represent a culture from 11,000 to 14,000 years ago, with 13,000 years ago as the most likely timeframe. 
In 1715, a Spanish treasure fleet wrecked off the coast of Vero. Eleven out of twelve Spanish ships carrying tonnes of silver foundered in a hurricane. The remains of the silver attracted pirates. A group of 300 unemployed English privateers led by Henry Jennings stole about £87,500 in gold and silver in their first acts of piracy.
In 1872 Captain Allen W. Estes officially established the first land patent between the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian River Lagoon.[ citation needed]
The town of Vero was chartered in 1919.[ citation needed]
During the war year of 1942 the U.S. Navy selected 1,500 acres (6.1 km2) surrounding the Vero Beach Municipal Airport as the site of a Naval Air Station. It was commissioned November.[ citation needed]
In 1957 Piper Aircraft began research and development in Vero Beach.[ citation needed] In 1961 Piper Aircraft moved administrative and manufacturing operations to Vero after completing building additions.[ citation needed]
In 1979, the 17th Street Bridge was completed, allowing a second point of access from Vero Beach mainland to the barrier islands.
Vero Beach is home to general aviation manufacturer Piper Aircraft, which is the largest private employer in Indian River County. As of July 2015, Piper employed approximately 750 people. Aside from Piper, the bulk of commercial activity in Vero Beach centers around tourism, the citrus industry and service activities.
There are two large shopping malls the Indian River Mall and the Vero Beach Outlets just west of I-95 on State Road 60. There are small specialty shops along Ocean Drive on the barrier island and in what is called the "Miracle Mile." The Historic Downtown is a newly revitalized area of shopping, dining, antique stores and art galleries.
A large part of tourism in Vero Beach is taken in part by The Disney Resort in Vero (Disney's Vero Beach Resort)
The beaches in Vero Beach are part of Florida's Treasure Coast. Vero's three main public beaches are South Beach, accessible at the eastern end of State Road 656 at the eastern end of 17th Street; Humiston Park, in Vero's Central Beach Business District on Ocean Drive and Jaycee Park which is adjacent to Conn Beach. These beaches are lifeguard protected from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. There are 26 miles of oceanfront shore in Indian River County. Vero Beach also has other free public access trails and walkways with beach access, such as Riomar Beach, Sea Cove, Sea Grape Trail, Sexton Plaza, and Turtle Trail.
The Indian River Lagoon, passing through Vero Beach, forms a significant portion of the Intracoastal Waterway, and is a hub for boating, fishing, water skiing, diving, kayaking and other small-craft waterborne activities.
Disney's Vero Beach Resort is officially located in Wabasso, a small town north of Vero Beach.
Vero Beach is home to Historic Dodgertown, the former Spring Training facility of the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team. Since the team's departure for a new Spring home in Arizona in 2008, it now serves as a year-round multi-purpose facility for athletes of all ages.
- Driftwood Inn
- Hallstrom House
- Old Indian River County Courthouse
- Judge Henry F. Gregory House
- Maher Building
- McKee Jungle Gardens
- Old Palmetto Hotel
- Pueblo Arcade
- Royal Park Arcade
- Theodore Hausmann Estate
- Old Vero Beach Community Building
- Vero Beach Diesel Power Plant
- Vero Beach Woman's Club
- Vero Railroad Station
- Vero Theatre
Vero Beach is served by GoLine Bus routes. 
- Fred Barnes, journalist, editor of The Weekly Standard and Fox News contributor 
- Lake Bell, actress, attended school in Vero Beach  and her film I Do... Until I Don't is set there
- Alex Cobb, pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles, attended Vero Beach High School
- Gloria Estefan, singer, has a house and owns a hotel in Vero Beach 
- Tom Fadden, actor 
- Prince Fielder, professional baseball player 
- Calvin Souther Fuller, inventor of the solar cell, died 1994 
- Carl Hiaasen, journalist, novelist, and author 
- Sandy Koufax, former professional baseball player 
- Ivan Lendl, former professional tennis player 
- Debbie Mayfield, Florida state senator 
- F. James McDonald, former president and chief operating officer of General Motors 
- Alison Mosshart, lead singer of The Kills and The Dead Weather 
- Jake Owen, country music singer-songwriter, graduate of Vero Beach High School, 1999  
- Peter George Peterson, co-founder, Blackstone Group 
- Albert Reed, model, 2007 Dancing with the Stars competitor, actor, graduate of Vero Beach High School, 2003 
- Priscilla Renea, singer-songwriter signed to Capitol Records, debut album entitled " Jukebox" released in 2009 
- Norman Sas, inventor of Electric football 
- Parvati Shallow, winner of Survivor: Micronesia, runner-up in Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains 
- Bryan Stork, professional football player for the Washington Redskins of the NFL
- Roscoe Tanner, former professional tennis player 
- Mardy Fish, former professional tennis player and Olympic Silver medalist
- Vero Beach High School. The first high school founded in Vero Beach; grades 9–12
- Indian River Charter High School. Charter school; grades 9–12
- Alternative Center for Education. Public; grades 5–12
- Rosewood Magnet School. Public; grades K–5
- Imagine South Vero. Charter school; grades K–8
- Oslo Middle School. Public; grades 6–8
- Storm Grove Middle School. Next to the School District of Indian River County office; Public; Grades 6-8
- Gifford Middle School; grades 6-8
- St. Helen Catholic School 
- Saint Edward's School. Independent College Preparatory in Episcopal School Tradition; grades pre-K–12
- Anderson Academy. Private; grades 8–12
- Masters Academy. Private; grades pre-K–12
- Tabernacle Christian School. Private; grades K-8 http://www.tcsverobeach.org/
- SunCoast School. Private; grades pre-K–8
- Indian River State College – Mueller Campus
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- US Census bureau. "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010". Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- "Climate Vero Beach - Florida and Weather averages Vero Beach". www.usclimatedata.com. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- "Climatological Information for Vero Beach, Florida", USA.com, 2003. Web: .
- Brotemarkle, Ben (March 8, 2016). "New discoveries found at Vero Beach cite". Florida Today. Melbourne, Florida. pp. 7A. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- "GoLineIRT.com - Indian River Transit - GoLine bus transit". golineirt.com. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- "Home Alone". The Weekly Standard. June 11, 2001. Retrieved February 28, 2012.
- "Lake Bell - Biography". IMDb. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- "Q&A: Gloria Estefan on her Florida hotels". USATODAY.com. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- "Famous Iowans - Tom Fadden". DesMoinesRegister.com. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Santucci, Jon (March 17, 2012).
"Fielder's career path takes him from St. Edward's to the Tigers » TCPalm.com".
Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
Fielder, who lived briefly in Vero Beach growing up, spoke with Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers about his memories of St. Edward's high school, his offseason and his new team.
- "SOLAR CELL INVENTOR DIES". Palm Beach Post. 2 November 1994.
- Goodnow, Cecelia (September 29, 2005).
"Carl Hiaasen relishes reachinga new generation of greenies".
Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
Hiaasen said by phone from his home in Vero Beach, Fla.
- "Sandy Koufax's House in Vero Beach, FL". Virtual Globetrotting. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Potter, Jerry (December 7, 2006).
"Fatherhood, golf keep Lendl busy". USA Today. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
He lives with his family in Florida, splitting time between Vero Beach and Bradenton
- "Senator Mayfield - The Florida Senate". flsenate.gov. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- via Associated Press. "F. James McDonald, Former G.M. President, Is Dead at 87", The New York Times, June 15, 2010. Retrieved July 2, 2010.
- RIEMENSCHNEIDER, Chris (July 28, 2009).
"Weather front: An interview with Alison Mosshart".
Star Tribune. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
having spent her childhood in Vero Beach, Fla., where she fronted an emo-ish punk band
- Isenberg, Barbara (December 14, 2007). "Country music star comes home to Vero Beach". My Hometown News. Retrieved April 6, 2008.
- "Jake Owen biography". Great American Country. Archived from the original on January 2, 2013. Retrieved April 6, 2008.
- American legacy: the story of John & Caroline Kennedy – Clemens David Heymann. Google Books. Retrieved February 28, 2012.
- Vero Beach Press Journal (August 13, 2005) Good for you. Section: Today on the Treasure Coast; Page E8.
- Kaufman, Gil. "Jukebox". Priscilla Renea's Jukebox on the Link. MTV. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- Yardley, William (July 12, 2012). "Norman Sas, Inventor of Electric Football, Dies at 87". New York Times. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- Harris, Bill. "CANOE – JAM! Television – TV Shows – Survivor: 'Survivor' gal sexy & Shallow". Canoe.ca. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- Roscoe Tanner, Ex-Tennis Star, Says He's Trying to Change New York Times, February 13, 2012.
- " Contact Us Archived April 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.." Indian River County School District. Retrieved March 3, 2012. "1990 25th St., Vero Beach FL 32960"
- Welcome to St. Helen Catholic School Archived July 29, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vero Beach, Florida.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Vero Beach.|