Universidad del Turabo
|Motto||Pensar es Crear la Luz de la Vida|
Motto in English
|Thinking is Creating the Light of Life|
|200 adjunct professors|
|Campus||140 acres (main campus)|
|Mascot||Taínos (from Taíno)|
The Universidad del Turabo, part of the Ana G. Méndez University System (SUAGM), is a professionally oriented institution that offers academic studies from technical certificates to doctorates degrees. Its academic offerings are organized in seven departments: Engineering, Science and Technology, Health Sciences, Education, Business and Administration, Social Sciences, and the International School of Design.
Universidad del Turabo (UT) is one of the institutions within the Ana G. Méndez University System (SUAGM, according to the Spanish acronym). Since its establishment in 1972, the University has significantly enhanced the number and quality of its educational programs along with its research activities. In 1974 it earned accreditations from two of the most prestigious organizations nationwide: the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and the Puerto Rico Higher Education Council. In 2004 began the doctoral program in Environmental Sciences and the advent of the Strategic Plan for Scientific Research. Today, enrollment exceeds 15,000 students of which over 450 are doctoral level.
The largest and main campus, usually referred to as the Universidad del Turabo, covers 140 acres with fifteen buildings and is located in Gurabo, Puerto Rico. The campus includes a library with a computer center, two museums, four auditoriums, a bookstore, two cafeterias, one café, and dedicated computer centers and studying rooms in some academic departments. The university also has a sports complex with its respective gym, weight room, running track, 25-meter swimming pool, baseball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball courts, and other green areas for student recreation. The University consists of seven major colleges:
- Business and Administration
- Health Sciences
- International School of Design
- Science and Technology
- Social Sciences
The University of Turabo is also composed of the following satellite campuses:
- Universidad del Turabo at Barceloneta, PR
- Universidad del Turabo at Cayey, PR
- Universidad del Turabo at Gurabo, PR
- Universidad del Turabo at Isabela, PR
- Universidad del Turabo at Naguabo, PR
- Universidad del Turabo at Ponce, PR
- Universidad del Turabo at Yabucoa, PR
The UT also operates academic programs in Orlando, Tampa Bay, South Florida, and in Maryland in the USA.
The University has libraries available for the use of students as well as a virtual library where books and useful information is found or easily requested for specific researches or projects. The main library includes a computer room, studying areas, conference rooms, and the library itself. There is a library-museum named after the ex-governor of Puerto Rico, Pedro Rosselló, as " Biblioteca Museo Dr. Pedro Rosselló", which includes a museum, library, studying area, and an auditorium. There is also a main museum with a center for humanistic studies named " Dra. Josefina Camacho de la Nuez" and the entrance is free of charge.
- All UT academic programs are accredited by the Council of Education of Puerto Rico(CEPR) and by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).
- AACSB - Business and Administration, from the Business and Administration
- CSWE - Social Work (BTS), from Social and Human Sciences
- APA - Psychology (Psy. D.), from Social and Human Sciences
- ACEJMC - Communications (BA), from Social and Human Sciences
- ACS - Chemistry (BS), from Science and Technology
- CADE - Nutrition (BSND), from Health Sciences
- CCNE - Nursery (BSN, MSN), from Health Sciences
- CAA-ASHA - Patología del habla-lenguaje (PHL), from Health Sciences
- TEAC - Elemental level (BA), secondary level (BA), special (BA), and Physical Education (BA)
- ABET - Mechanical Engineering (BS), Electrical Engineering (BS), Industrial Engineering (BS), and Computer Engineering (BS), from the School of Engineering
- NASAD - Design (AFD, B Des), from the International School of Design (EID)
- CIDA - Interior Design (B Des), from the International School of Design (EID)
The University offers athletic scholarships to outstanding freshman athletes with strong academic potential in swimming, basketball, volleyball, cross country, and others. It participates in the Puerto Rico Inter-university Athletics League (LAI) (Spanish: Liga Atlética Interuniversitaria de Puerto Rico) since 1975.
- Alfredo Alejandro Carrión - Puerto Rican politician and the current mayor of Juncos, PR. Completed a bachelor's degree in business administration at UT.
- Narden Jaime Espinosa - Puerto Rican politician affiliated with the Popular Democratic Party (PPD). Completed a bachelor's degree in business management, with a major in marketing, from UT.
- José Luis Caldero - Superintendent of the Puerto Rico police, completed a master's degree in public affairs at UT.
- Eduardo E. Cintrón Suarez - Puerto Rican politician and the current mayor of Guayama, completed a master's degree in business administration at UT.
- Luis Vargas Velásquez - Artistic Gymnast who participated in '04 Summer Olympics, completed a master's degree in health promotion at UT.
- Pedro Rosselló - Physician and politician who served as the seventh Governor of Puerto Rico from 1993 to 2001. He was President of the New Progressive Party from 1991 to 1999 and 2003 to 2008 and served as Senator for the District of Arecibo, PR from 2005 to 2008. At UT, Pedro Rosselló completed his doctorates in Education with specialization in Educational Leadership.
This article does not cite any sources. (July 2015) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)
-  - University of Turabo's Official Website
- Ana G. Mendez University System (SUAGM) Official Website
- Sistema Tv - Ana G. Mendez TV channel
- Biblioteca Museo Dr. Pedro Rosselló
- Museo y Centro de Estudios Humanisticos Dra. Josefina Camacho de la Nuez
- Biblioteca Virtual