Strolling of the Heifers is an annual local food parade and festival hosted in Brattleboro, Vermont each year.  The organization behind the parade has expanded to support other local food initiatives, most notably a Locavoir Index, which evaluates the availability and policy support for local food in American states.    
The celebration was founded in 2002, with a focus on sustainable agriculture in the region.  The parade was inspired by the Running of the Bulls, but instead of enraged bulls, groomed heifers are walked down the main street. 
Strolling of the Heifers has expanded from just running a parade, to also include small business development programs and local food advocacy programs.  For example, they ran a culinary skills program for training the local workforce.  The organization also publishes its annual Locavoir Index, which rates the capacity of different states for providing local food.    
The Strolling of the Heifers owns The River Garden, a building in downtown Brattleboro. 
- Maddi Shaw (June 6, 2016). "Thousands turn out for Strolling of the Heifers". The Brattleboro Reformer.
- "Strolling of the Heifers 2016 Locavore Index: Which states are most committed to locally-sourced food?". Strolling of the Heifers. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Gina Vercesi (April 21, 2017). "Five ways to experience Burlington, Vt". The Boston Globe.
- Amy Grisak (May 10, 2017). "Farm to fork movement takes hold". Great Falls Tribune.
- "Year After Year, the Same State Ranks as the Best for Local Food". TakePart. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Strolling of the Heifers Parade". Brattleboro Community Television. 2017.
- "Strolling of the Heifers". Friends of Bernie Sanders. June 6, 2015.
- Howard Weiss-Tisman (June 4, 2015). "Strolling of the Heifers: Sanders to march in annual Brattleboro event on Saturday". The Berkshire Eagle.
- "Strolling of the Heifers in Brattleboro". WCAX. June 6, 2015.
- "Sen. Sanders to Speak in Brattleboro on Strolling of the Heifers Entrepreneurship Grant" (Press release). Strolling of the Heifers. March 8, 2017.
- Wendy M. Levy. "A new path into the kitchen: Strolling of the Heifers Farm-to-Plate Apprenticeship Program hopes to guide more people into food-service jobs". The Commons. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Keese, Susan (July 23, 2013). "Strolling of the Heifers Founders to Buy Brattleboro River Garden". Vermont Public Radio.
|This Vermont-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|