|38th Auditor of Missouri|
|Assumed office |
April 27, 2015
John Watson (Acting)
|Born||June 13, 1982|
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
University of Missouri, Rolla (
University of Missouri ( MBA)
Nicole Galloway (born June 13, 1982)  is an American politician from the state of Missouri who was appointed as State Auditor of Missouri by Governor Jay Nixon on April 14, 2015, following the death of Tom Schweich.  John Watson was appointed as Acting State Auditor following Schweich's death in February 2015, before Galloway's appointment as State Auditor nearly two months later.  Galloway was elected to a full term as State Auditor of Missouri in the State Auditor election on November 6, 2018, winning by 135,571 votes, or nearly 6 percent, with 50.4% of the vote to her opponent's 44.6%.  With the defeat of U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill in the 2018 U.S. Senate election, Galloway is the only female state officeholder and the only Democratic statewide elected official in Missouri. 
Upon taking the oath of office in 2015, Galloway said one of her first priorities as State Auditor of Missouri would be cybersecurity by making protection of Missourians' private data part of audit procedures for the State Auditor's Office. 
As State Auditor of Missouri, Galloway manages about 115 employees. The State Auditor's staff is made up of CPAs, with about 65 percent of all audit staff having at least one professional license, certification or advanced degree. Employment as an auditor with the State Auditor's Office qualifies as mandatory experience required for licensure by the Missouri State Board of Accountancy as a certified public accountant. 
Additional responsibilities of the State Auditor's Office include serving as the independent, professional watchdog for government. The State Auditor's Office works to ensure the proper use of public funds and to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Missouri government by performing audits of state agencies, boards and commissions, the circuit court system, the counties in Missouri that do not have a county auditor, and other political subdivisions upon petition by the voters. These audits examine financial accountability, waste, opportunities for fraud, and whether government organizations and programs are achieving their purposes and operating economically and efficiently. 
Galloway, who was appointed to the post of Missouri State Auditor by then-Gov. Jay Nixon following a vacancy in 2015, won election to a full term as Missouri State Auditor on Nov. 6, 2018. Her term will expire in January 2023.
Prior to her appointment as State Auditor, Galloway had served as Treasurer of Boone County, Missouri from April 2011. As Treasurer, she managed a $100 million investment portfolio and issued all general obligation and revenue bonds for the county. Galloway developed a debt issuance policy in 2012 that provided increased transparency. In 2011, Boone County became the first Missouri county to maintain an online search and claim system for unclaimed property. Galloway's office distributed about $20,000 in unclaimed property in 2014. 
When serving as Treasurer, Galloway served on the Missouri Technology Corporation and Missouri County Employees’ Retirement Fund.  As a board member for retirement fund board she was the leader for expanding benefits to members’ same-sex spouses. 
Following Galloway's resignation as Boone County Treasurer on April 27, 2015, Kay Murray was appointed as interim County Treasurer. 
Galloway holds a bachelor's degree in applied mathematics and economics from Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla, and a master's degree in business administration from the University of Missouri. She is a Certified Public Accountant and Certified Fraud Examiner. A native of Fenton, Missouri, she lives in Columbia, Missouri with her husband, Jon Galloway and their two sons. Jon Galloway is a former press secretary to State Treasurer Clint Zweifel.  Galloway is Roman Catholic, and graduated high school from Ursuline Academy in Oakland, Missouri.  In August 2016, she announced that she was pregnant with her third child, due in January 2017, and was the first statewide officeholder in Missouri history to become pregnant while in office.  Her son, Joseph Nickels Galloway was born on January 6, 2017. 
- "State Auditors Historical Listing | Nicole Galloway, CPA". Auditor.mo.gov. Retrieved July 16, 2016.
- "State Auditors Historical Listing". The Office of Missouri State Auditor. The Office of Missouri State Auditor. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- "Nixon picks Boone County treasurer for state auditor job". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. April 15, 2015. Retrieved April 24, 2015.
- Erickson, Kurt. "Democrat Galloway fends off GOP challenger in race for Missouri auditor". stltoday.com. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Erickson, Kurt. "Democrat Galloway fends off GOP challenger in race for Missouri auditor". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- "Nixon taps Boone County official to be new state auditor". KRCU 90.9. April 15, 2015.
- "Galloway sworn in as state auditor". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. April 27, 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 18, 2015. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "State of Missouri General Election Unofficial Results". Missouri Secretary of State. November 6, 2018. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "Galloway plans to bring innovation, energy to auditor role". Columbia Daily Tribune. April 26, 2015.
- "20 Under 40: Nicole Galloway". Columbia Business Times. December 23, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2016.
- "Pension system for most county employees will recognize gay marriages". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. December 9, 2014.
- Schmitt, William (April 23, 2015). "Boone County ready to name Kay Murray interim treasurer while awaiting governor's appointment". The Columbia Missourian.
- "Missouri Replaces State Auditor Who Committed Suicide". Governing. April 15, 2015. Retrieved April 24, 2015.
- "Notable Alumnae - Ursuline Academy | Girls Catholic High School Kirkwood". Ursuline Academy | Girls Catholic High School Kirkwood. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Holleman, Joe (August 12, 2016). "Missouri Auditor Nicole Galloway making state history". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved November 22, 2016.
- Statement from Auditor Galloway on the birth of her son-Press Release-Office of State Auditor Nicole Galloway (January 8,, 2017)
Auditor of Missouri