Mines of Spain State Recreation Area and E. B. Lyons Nature Center Information
|Mines of Spain State Recreation Area and E. B. Lyons Nature Center|
Julien Dubuque's monument
|Location||Dubuque, Iowa, United States|
MINES OF SPAIN STATE RECREATION AREA AND E. B. LYONS NATURE CENTER Latitude and Longitude:
|Area||1,380 acres (5.6 km2)|
|Elevation||751 ft (229 m) |
|Named for||Julien Dubuque's Mines|
|Governing body||Iowa Department of Natural Resources|
Julien Dubuque's Mines
|Architect||Alexander Simplot; Carter Bros.|
|Architectural style||Late Gothic Revival|
|MPS||Mines of Spain Archeological MPS|
|NRHP reference #||88002662|
|Added to NRHP||November 21, 1988 |
|Designated NHLD||November 04, 1993 |
The Mines of Spain State Recreation Area and E. B. Lyons Nature Center is a state park in Dubuque County, Iowa, USA. It is near Dubuque, the eighth-largest city in the state. The park features picnic areas, 15 miles (24 km) of walking/hiking trails, 4 miles (6.4 km) of ski trails, and the Betty Hauptli Bird and Butterfly Garden. It also includes archaeological sites of national importance as an early lead mining and smelting venture led by French explorer Julien Dubuque, as well as Dubuque's gravesite. These sites were collectively designated a National Historic Landmark District as Julien Dubuque's Mines.
Meskwaki Indians were believed to be the first people in the area, residing in the area for up to 8000 years previous to discovery by Julien Dubuque, believed to be the first European to set foot in Iowa. The Meskwaki had been trading furs with French Voyageurs, as well as mining lead in the area. The Governor of Spain gave Dubuque a grant to work Spanish-owned land, naming the 1,380-acre (560 ha) area The Mines of Spain. Mining would continue by the Meskwaki, then by European settlers until 1914. These activities left a complex of archaeological sites, including prehistoric native settlement sites, the mining village of the Meskwaki, Dubuque's trading post, the mining areas themselves, and later mining-related areas.
- List of Iowa state parks
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Iowa
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Dubuque County, Iowa
- "Mines of Spain State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 2000-01-01. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Julien Dubuque's Mines". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Archived from the original on 2007-08-09. Retrieved 2007-10-10.
- Mines of Spain State Recreation Area and E. B. Lyons Nature Center
- Friends of The Mines of Spain - Nature center information