1960 Massachusetts gubernatorial election Information
|Elections in Massachusetts|
The 1960 Massachusetts gubernatorial election was held on November 8, 1960. John A. Volpe was elected Governor of Massachusetts to replace Foster Furcolo. Volpe defeated Democrat Joseph D. Ward in the race. Also running were Henning A. Blomen of the Socialist Labor Party of America and Guy S. Williams of the Prohibition Party.
In the race for Lieutenant Governor, Democrat Edward F. McLaughlin, Jr., defeated Republican Augustus Gardner Means, Prohibition candidate Thomas Maratea, and Socialist Labor candidate Francis A. Votano.
- 1 Democratic primary
- 2 Republican primary
- 3 General election
- 4 References
- Francis E. Kelly, Attorney General
- John Francis Kennedy, Treasurer and Receiver-General
- Endicott Peabody, former member of the Massachusetts Governor's Council
- Gabriel Piemonte, former Boston City Councilor
- Alfred Magaletta, realtor
- Joseph D. Ward, Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth
|Democratic||Joseph D. Ward||180,848||30.23%|
|Democratic||Francis E. Kelly||98,107||16.40%|
|Democratic||Robert F. Murphy||76,577||12.80%|
|Democratic||John Francis Kennedy||52,972||8.85%|
|Democratic||Edward F. McLaughlin, Jr.||403,694||77.09%|
- John Volpe, former Massachusetts Commissioner of Public Works and administrator of the Federal Highway Administration
- Frank S. Giles, Minority Leader of the Massachusetts House of Representatives
- Philip A. Graham, State Senator
- Howard J. Whitmore, Jr., former Mayor of Newton
Following his endorsement at the state convention, Volpe was unopposed for the Republican nomination.
Means was unopposed for the Republican nomination.
|Republican||John A. Volpe||1,269,295||52.51%|
|Democratic||Joseph D. Ward||1,130,810||46.79%|
|Socialist Labor||Henning A. Blomen||9,474||0.39%|
|Prohibition||Guy S. Williams||7,396||0.31%|
|Democratic||Edward F. McLaughlin, Jr.||1,265,244||53.99%|
|Republican||Augustus Gardner Means||1,056,679||45.01%|
|Socialist Labor||Francis A. Votano||12,380||0.53%|
Hayden, Irving N.; Grove, Lawrence R. (1961). A Manual for the Use of the General Court for 1961–1962. Boston: Wright & Potter Printing Company. pp. 286–99. Retrieved September 23, 2010.