Long Branch State Park Information (Geography)
|Long Branch State Park|
Long Branch Lake Visitor Center
|Location||Macon, Missouri, United States|
LONG BRANCH STATE PARK Latitude and Longitude:
|Area||1,828.47 acres (7.3996 km2) |
|Elevation||791 ft (241 m) |
|Visitors||510,354 (in 2017) |
|Governing body||Missouri Department of Natural Resources|
|Website||Long Branch State Park|
Long Branch State Park is a public recreation area occupying 1,828 acres (740 ha) adjacent to the Long Branch Reservoir in Macon County, Missouri. The state park consists of three units located some two miles west of Macon, Missouri on U.S. Highway 36.
Flooding along the Little Chariton River was an ongoing problem for the residents of Macon County and elsewhere in northeast Missouri since the area was first settled in the 1830s. Extensive channelization of the main Chariton River by private entities, local governments, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, while alleviating flooding issues in some areas, exacerbated them for others.  Long Branch Dam was authorized by Congress in 1965 as a multi-purpose project for water supply, flood control, recreation, downstream water quality and fish/wildlife management. Construction began in 1973 and the dam was placed into operation in 1980. 
Long Branch Lake is the reservoir created by the dam, with about 24 miles of shoreline and a flood-control capacity of 98,000 acre-feet. In addition to the adjacent state-run state park, the dam has a visitors center at its southern end, and the Atlanta State Wildlife Area at its northern end near Atlanta, Missouri.
The state park features a wide variety of outdoor activities including boating, swimming, water skiing, fishing,  hiking trails,  picnicking facilities,  three boat ramps, marina, and camping area.  The large public acreage surrounding the lake provide opportunities for viewing white-tailed deer, wild turkey, and migratory waterfowl. 
- "Long Branch State Park: Data Sheet" (PDF). Missouri Department of Natural Resources. November 2017. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- "Long Branch Dam". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "State Park Land Acquisition Summary". Missouri State Parks. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- A Book of Adair County History. Kirksville, Missouri: Kirksville-Adair County Bicentennial Committee. 1976.
- "Long Branch Lake". U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Kansas City District. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- "Fishing at Long Branch State Park". Missouri State Parks. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "Trails at Long Branch State Park". Missouri State Parks. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "Picnic area at Long Branch State Park". Missouri State Parks. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- In May 2012 free Wi-Fi access was added to the campground and select other areas of Long Branch State Park. Doogs, Brian (June 24, 2012). "Park gets high-tech with improvements". KTVO-TV. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "Long Branch State Park". Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Long Branch State Park.|