Lawrence Heritage State Park Information
|Lawrence Heritage State Park|
|Location||Lawrence, Essex, Massachusetts, United States|
LAWRENCE HERITAGE STATE PARK Latitude and Longitude:
|Area||50 acres (20 ha) |
|Governing body||Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation|
|Website||Lawrence Heritage State Park|
Lawrence Heritage State Park is a history-themed public recreation area dedicated to preserving the industrial heritage of Lawrence, Massachusetts. The state park comprises three separate units on or near the Merrimack River. It is managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. 
The development of the state's heritage parks program began with the allocation of $35 million in 1978 for the creation of eight urban parks throughout Massachusetts. The program's aim was to create quality urban space, celebrate the communities' cultural heritage, and stimulate private economic investment. Lawrence Heritage State Park opened in 1980.  The restoration of the park's visitor center was completed in 1986. 
- Visitors Center: The visitors center is located in a restored 1840s boarding house and offers exhibits which detail the life of 19th-century mill workers and the industrial history of Lawrence and the surrounding region.
- Pemberton Park: The 5-acre (2.0 ha) urban park offers views of the city's mills and historic dam while providing opportunities for fishing and boating.
- Lawrence Riverfront State Park: The westernmost section of the park runs along the Merrimack River  and has group facilities, playing courts for basketball, tennis, and street hockey, and wooded walking trails. Sailing lessons are given during summer months at the Bashara Boathouse.
- "2012 Acreage Listing" (PDF). Department of Conservation and Recreation. April 2012. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "Lawrence Heritage State Park". MassParks. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Lawrence History Timeline". Lawrence History Center. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "Annual Report: Fiscal Year 1986". Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "Park Map". MassParks: Lawrence Heritage State Park. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Bread & Roses Heritage Festival". Bread & Roses Heritage Committee. Retrieved March 21, 2017.