This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Las Piedras, Puerto Rico
"Ciudad Artesanal", "Los Artesanos"
|Anthem: "Somos de la Ribera"|
Location of Las Piedras in Puerto Rico
LAS PIEDRAS PUERTO RICO Latitude and Longitude:
|• Mayor||Miguel "Micky" López ( PNP)|
|• Senatorial dist.||7 - Humacao|
|• Representative dist.||35|
|• Total||33.2 sq mi (86.0 km2)|
|• Land||33 sq mi (86 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|• Density||1,200/sq mi (450/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 ( AST)|
Las Piedras (Spanish pronunciation: [las ˈpjeðɾas], The Stones) is a municipality in east Puerto Rico (U.S.) located in the center region of the island, north of Yabucoa; south of Canóvanas and Río Grande; east of Juncos and San Lorenzo; and west of Naguabo and Humacao. Las Piedras is spread over 7 wards and Las Piedras Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Las Piedras, being a colorful town, has many natural attractions such as "La Cueva del Indio" which is a place that has original Indian playgrounds, caves and paintings that denote some characteristics of the ancient island's natives. Las Piedras is located about 45 minutes from San Juan, Puerto Rico's capital and 5 minutes from Palmas del Mar, Humacao which is one of the biggest resorts in the Caribbean.
Las Piedras was founded in 1793.
- Quebrada Arenas
- El Rio
- Manufacturing: computers and pharmaceutical.
- La Cueva del Indio (Indian Cavern)
- Monte del Retiro (Settlement)
- Artesanial Walk
- Francisco Negrón Park
- Las Piedras Historic Museum
- Panoramic Route 917
- Güiro Festival - March
- Typical (Folk) Cultural Festival - April
- Festivities of the Cross- May
- Youth Festivities - July
- Typical (Folk) Festival - September
- Pork Festival - November
- Patron Saints Festivities - December
Like all municipalities in Puerto Rico, Las Piedras is administered by a mayor. The current mayor is Mickey Lopez, from the New Progressive Party (PNP). Lopez was elected at the Puerto Rican general election, 2008 -present general election.
The flag of Las Piedras has three horizontal stripes of equal width, the stripe at the top is colored white, the center stripe is colored green and the bottom stripe is colored blue. In the middle of the flag rests an image of the Taíno sun in yellow.
In a silver field resides a blue monogram of the Holy Virgin, topped by a blue crown. Seven silver stones border the silver field and at the tip of the shield resides the Taíno sun in gold denominated as the "Sun of Las Piedras".
- Angel López - Singer from the acclaimed and famous worldwide group, Son By Four.
- Luis “El Artesano" Cruz - Professional Boxer.
- Yariel Morales Rivera - Mr. Puerto Rico 2015. Professional model and the only Mr. Puerto Rico (in history) from Las Piedras.
- Margaro Rivera Guzmán-Scholar, attorney and prominent businessman
- Modesto Castro Dávila - Las Piedras Mayor (1980-1984).
- Rafi Jimenez - Broadcaster
- Juan Velázquez- Farmer and political activist
- Elwood Cruz - Reporter
- Juan Manuel Lebrón - Comedian
- Sotero Gómez Hernández- Puerto Rico House Representative
- Silvia Ricardo - Judge
- Carmen Benítez - Notable teacher
- Celia Mondríguez: elderly people rights advocacy
- Isabelo Rivera - Adjutant general of the Puerto Rico National Guard
- Modesto Velázquez Flores - Prosecutor
- José R. Camacho - Broadcaster.
- Eugenio López - Rancher, Boxer.
- Zenón Hernández - Writer, poet.
- Francisco Negrón Díaz - Sport and businessman.
- Miguel Loíz - Teacher, Senator for Humacao district Puerto Rico.
- Miguel Hernández Agosto - Puerto Rico Senate President (1988-1992).
- Víctor Santana Pérez - Teacher, historian, writer and planner of Monte del Retiro.
- Tomas Diaz - Clay Artisan.
- Cano Diaz - Creator of the now famous "Stringed Hammocs".
- Wilfredo Ramos Vázquez-Attorney, philosopher, poverty rights advocacy, public defender, Artificial Intelligence researcher
- Juan Rosa Martínez: first elected mayor of Las Piedras, businessman and sindicalist
- Nicky Cruz-evangelist, reformed gang leader, author of bestselling book, "Run Baby Run". David Wilkerson based his best selling book "The Cross and the Switchblade" in part in Nicky's life
- Elecciones Generales 2012: Escrutinio General Archived 2013-01-15 at the Wayback Machine. on CEEPUR