James C. Klotter is an American historian who has served as the State Historian of Kentucky since 1980.   Klotter also is a history professor at Georgetown College and one of the co-authors of Kentucky's staple history book A New History of Kentucky. Klotter received a Ph.D. in History from the University of Kentucky, and he has been awarded honorary degrees from Eastern Kentucky University and Union College.  Klotter was the Executive Director of the Kentucky Historical Society for many years, and he was an associate editor of the Kentucky Encyclopedia.  In 2015, the Boyd County High School chapter of the Rho Kappa National Social Studies Honor Society was named in his honor.  Today Klotter lives with his wife in Lexington, Kentucky. 
- William Goebel: The Politics of Wrath. Lexington, Kentucky. 1977. 
- A New History of Kentucky. University Press of Kentucky. Lexington, Kentucky. 1997.
- A Concise History of Kentucky.  
- History Mysteries.
- Kentucky: Portrait in Paradox, 1900-1950.
- Kentucky Justice, Southern Honor, and American Manhood: Understanding the Life and Death of Richard Reid.
- The Breckinridges of Kentucky.
- Faces of Kentucky.
- Genealogies of Kentucky Families, from the Register of the Kentucky Historical Society. Volume O – Y.
- Appalachian Ghost Stories: Tales from Bloody Breathitt. Klotter wrote the foreword.  
- "Public Affairs". Ket.org. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "James C. Klotter - C-SPAN.org". C-span.org. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "About". James Klotter Chapter - Boyd County High School. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Klotter, James C. (11 November 2009). "William Goebel: The Politics of Wrath". University Press of Kentucky. Retrieved 10 August 2017 – via Amazon.
- "The University Press of Kentucky - About the Book". kentuckypress.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Amazon.com: James C. Klotter: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". Amazon.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- E., Kleber, John; Kentucky, University Press of; Policy, Institute for Regional Analysis and Public; Library, Camden-Carroll; University, Morehead State (10 August 2017). "The Kentucky Encyclopedia". Kyenc.org. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Books by James C. Klotter (Author of A Concise History of Kentucky)". Goodreads.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
|This Kentucky-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|