Illinois State Board of Education Information
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (October 2009)
|Education in the United States|
United States portal
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) administers public education in the state of Illinois. The State Board consists of nine members who are appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate. Board members serve four-year terms, with State Board membership limited to two consecutive terms.  The board sets educational policies and guidelines for public and private schools, preschool through grade 12. It analyzes the aims, needs and requirements of education and recommends legislation to the Illinois General Assembly and Governor for the benefit of the more than 2 million school children in the state. 
Local municipalities and their respective school districts operate individual public schools but the ISBE audits performance of public schools with the Illinois School Report Card. The agency is headquartered at 100 North 1st Street in Springfield. The agency also has offices at the James R. Thompson Center in the Chicago Loop. 
The ISBE describes itself as an agency that "commits to promoting and implementing comprehensive policies, practices, and programs that ensure fair access to quality for all students in our state." 
- Illinois State Superintendent
- Illinois Community College Board — deals with community colleges in Illinois
- Illinois Board of Higher Education — deals with colleges and universities and, since 2012, private business schools and private vocational schools
- Regional office of education
- "State Board of Education". Illinois State Board of Education. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-03-30. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- "Division Descriptions". Illinois State Board of Education. 2010. Archived from the original on 2009-04-09. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- "Private Business and Vocational Schools". Illinois Board of Higher Education. 2017-11-08. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "ISBE Values and Beliefs PDF" (PDF). Illinois State Board of Education. Oct 2018. Retrieved 28 Mar 2019.
- "ISBE Home Page". Illinois State Government. 2019. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|