Illinois Route 43 Information
IL 43 highlighted in red
|Maintained by IDOT and CDOT|
|Length||60.30 mi  (97.04 km)|
|South end||US 30 in Frankfort|
US 6 in Orland Park
US 12 / US 20 in Bridgeview
I-55 in Summit
US 34 in Berwyn
I-290 / IL 110 (CKC) in Oak Park
I-90 in Chicago
US 14 / IL 58 in Morton Grove
I-94 in Northbrook
|North end||US 41 / IL 120 in Park City|
|Counties||Will, Cook, Lake|
Illinois Route 43 (IL 43) is a 60.30-mile-long (97.04 km) major north–south state road in the U.S. state of Illinois. It runs from U.S. Route 30 (US 30) in Frankfort north to the large intersection of IL 120 (Belvidere Road) and US 41 ( Skokie Highway) in Waukegan.
Illinois 43 is called Waukegan Road for the first 20 miles (32 km) until its intersection with Oakton Street in Niles; it then follows that road west one block until it turns back south and remains Harlem Avenue for the duration. When Illinois Route 50 begins in Skokie and Illinois Route 171 begins in Chicago, It parallels those routes for much of the rest of its length. It enters, exits, and runs parallel to Chicago limits several times, passing through or parallel to Edison Park, Norwood Park, Dunning, Montclare, and Austin on the Northwest Side then Garfield Ridge and Clearing on the Southwest Side. Listed as 7200 West in the Chicago address system, it is one of seven state roads that travel through the city of Chicago.
Illinois 43 was originally part of what is now US 136 and IL 10 from Havana to Mason City.  By 1935, Illinois 43 was moved to what is now Illinois Route 4 from Olive Township to Oraville.  By 1964, Illinois 4 acquired all of Illinois 43.  In 1967, Illinois Route 42A, which originally followed Waukegan Road and Harlem Avenue, was decommissioned and was replaced by Illinois 43.  
|Frankfort||0.00||0.00||US 30 / Lincoln Highway||Harlem Avenue continues south|
|Tinley Park||3.1||5.0||I-80 – Joliet, Gary||I-80 exit 148|
|Cook||Orland Park– Tinley Park line||6.6||10.6||US 6 ( 159th Street)|
|Palos Heights||11.7||18.8||IL 83 (119th Street, College Drive)|
|Worth||13.3||21.4||IL 7 south (Southwest Highway)||Northern terminus of IL 7|
US 12 / US 20 ( 95th Street) to I-294
|Forest View||20.4||32.8||I-55 (Stevenson Expressway)||I-55 exit 283|
|Lyons||21.6||34.8||Historic US 66 west (Joliet Road)||Southern end of Historic US 66 concurrency|
|Riverside||22.1||35.6||US 34 west / Historic US 66 east ( Ogden Avenue)||Northern end of Historic US 66 concurrency; Eastern terminus of US 34|
I-290 / IL 110 (CKC) (Eisenhower Expressway)
|I-290 exit 21B|
|River Forest||27.9||44.9||IL 64 ( North Avenue)|
|Chicago||31.0||49.9||IL 19 (Irving Park Road)|
|33.0||53.1||IL 72 west (Higgins Avenue)||Eastern terminus of IL 72|
|33.1||53.3||I-90 ( Kennedy Expressway)||I-90 exit 81A|
|Niles||35.5||57.1||IL 21 north ( Milwaukee Avenue)||Southern terminus of IL 21|
|Morton Grove||37.0||59.5||US 14 east (Caldwell Avenue)||Southern end of US 14 concurrency|
|37.3||60.0||US 14 west / IL 58 east ( Dempster Street)||Northern end of US 14 concurrency / Southern end of IL 58 concurrency|
|38.3||61.6||IL 58 west (Golf Road, Evanston-Elgin Road)||Northern end of IL 58 concurrency|
|Northbrook||44.5||71.6||IL 68 (Dundee Road)|
I-94 west (Edens Spur) – Milwaukee
|No access from or to I-94 east|
|Deerfield||45.6||73.4||Lake Cook Road|
|Lake||Bannockburn||49.2||79.2||IL 22 (Half Day Road)|
|Lake Forest||52.1||83.8||IL 60 (Kennedy Road)|
|Lake Bluff||54.9||88.4||IL 176 (Rockland Road)|
|North Chicago||57.1||91.9||IL 137 (Buckley Road)|
|Park City||60.30||97.04||US 41 north ( Skokie Highway) / IL 120 (Belvidere Road) – Grayslake||IL 120: Southbound exit and northbound entrance; US 41: Northbound exit and southbound entrance|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Illinois Route 43.|
- Illinois Technology Transfer Center (2006). "T2 GIS Data". Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- Carlson, Rick. Illinois Highways Page: Routes 41 thru 60. Last updated March 15, 2006. Retrieved March 28, 2006.
- Illinois Secretary of State; Rand McNally (1934). Official Road Map Illinois (Map). [c. 1:950,000 and c. 1:1,110,000]. Springfield: Illinois Secretary of State. OCLC 183709045 – via Illinois Digital Archives.
- Illinois Secretary of State; H.M. Gousha (1935). Official Road Map Illinois (Map). [c. 1:950,000 and c. 1:1,110,000]. Springfield: Illinois Secretary of State – via Illinois Digital Archives.
- Illinois Division of Highways; Rand McNally (1964). Illinois Official Highway Map (Map). [1:757,500]. Springfield: Illinois Division of Highways – via Illinois Digital Archives.
- Illinois Division of Highways; Rand McNally (1967). Illinois Official Highway Map (Map). [1:772,500]. Springfield: Illinois Division of Highways – via Illinois Digital Archives.
- Blue Star Memorial Highway plaque located at the intersection of Waukegan Road and Hazel Avenue
- Google Maps,