We care for people so they can be their best.
H (Class A)|
Russell 1000 Component
|Founded||September 27, 1957|
( Executive chairman)
Patricia Wyatt 
( President and CEO)
|Products||Hotels and Resorts|
|Revenue||US$4.68 billion (2017) |
|US$302 million (2017) |
|US$249 million (2017) |
|Total assets||US$7.67 billion (2017) |
|Total equity||US$3.52 billion (2017) |
Number of employees
|45,000  (2017)|
Hyatt Hotels Corporation is an American multinational hospitality company that manages and franchises luxury hotels, resorts, and vacation properties. The Hyatt Corporation came into being upon purchase of the Hyatt House, at Los Angeles International Airport, on September 27, 1957. As of March 25, 2018, Hyatt has 777 properties in 54 countries.  Fortune magazine ranked Hyatt #186 on its list of "America's Best Employers" for 2018. 
The first Hyatt House was a motel near Los Angeles International Airport, opened in 1954 by entrepreneurs Hyatt Robert von Dehn and Jack Dyer Crouch.  In 1957, the hotel was purchased by entrepreneur Jay Pritzker for $2.2 million. His younger brother Donald Pritzker also took on an important role in the company. Considering the growing use of air travel for business, the Pritzker brothers realized that locating a high quality hotel near a major airport was a valuable business strategy. Within two years, they opened Hyatt House motels near San Francisco International Airport and Seattle–Tacoma International Airport. 
Over the following decade, acquisitions were made, and Hyatt became the fastest-growing hotel chain in the United States. In 1967, the company opened their iconic Regency Hyatt House in Atlanta, Georgia (today the Hyatt Regency Atlanta). The futuristic hotel was designed by Atlanta architect John Portman, who would go on to design many other hotels for the chain. It featured a massive indoor atrium, which revolutionized hotel design, and soon became a distinctive feature of many Hyatt properties. In 1969, Hyatt opened its first hotel outside the United States, when it bought the President Hotel in Hong Kong and renamed it the Hong Kong Hyatt Hotel (later known as the Hyatt Regency Hong Kong). 
In 1972, Hyatt formed Elsinore Corporation, a subsidiary to operate the Four Queens Hotel and Casino and the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa & Casino. After Hyatt became a private company in 1979, Elsinore was spun off as a public company. The company opened the Playboy Hotel and Casino as a joint venture with Playboy Enterprises.  
Donald died in 1972 and Jay continued to run the company. 
In 1980, the Grand Hyatt and Park Hyatt brands were introduced. Hyatt runs resort hotels, starting with the Hyatt Regency Maui in 1980.  As of 30 November 2015 [update] Hyatt had over 627 hotels worldwide. 
In June 2004, substantially all of the hospitality assets owned by Pritzker family business interests, including Hyatt Corporation and Hyatt International Corporation, were consolidated under a single entity called Global Hyatt Corp. On June 30, 2009, Global Hyatt Corporation changed its name to Hyatt Hotels Corporation. 
In December 2004, Hyatt Hotels Corporation acquired AmeriSuites, an upscale chain of all-suite business class hotels from affiliates of the Blackstone Group, a New York-based private equity investment firm. Blackstone had inherited AmeriSuites from its 2004 acquisition of Prime Hospitality. The AmeriSuites chain was rebranded and called Hyatt Place, a competitor to the limited-service products Marriott International's Courtyard by Marriott and Hilton Worldwide's Hilton Garden Inn.
In December 2005, Hyatt acquired limited service company Summerfield Suites from the Blackstone Group. Blackstone had inherited Summerfield Suites from its purchase of Wyndham International. According to a Hyatt press release, in January 2012 Hyatt Summerfield Suites were rebranded as Hyatt House to compete in the "upscale extended stay market" against Residence Inn, Homewood Suites and Staybridge Suites. 
In August 2009, it was reported that Hyatt Hotels Corporation filed plans to raise up to $1.15 billion in an initial share sale. That November Hyatt completed an initial public offering and began trading publicly on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol H.  According to the filing Mark S. Hoplamazian was to serve as CEO and Thomas Pritzker as Executive Chairman.  The public offering is a result of the acrimonious breakup of the Pritzker family empire. Accused of looting family trusts, Thomas and cousins Penny and Nicholas took control of the family businesses when they and other family members were sued by cousin Liesel Pritzker, claiming fraud and seeking damages of over US$6 billion. 
As of 31 December 2014 [update], Hyatt Corporation's worldwide portfolio consisted of 587 properties.  On September 1, 2011, Hyatt acquired Hotel Sierra, which has 18 properties in 10 states. Along with Hyatt Summerfield Suites hotels, several of these properties were rebranded as Hyatt house in January 2012. 
Hyatt Hotels Corporation operates several chains. The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) awarded the company 100% in the HRC Equality Index for eight consecutive years.  The Hyatt Regency brand is the oldest brand in the company, with the Grand Hyatt and Park Hyatt brands being introduced in 1980. Some of these are styled as "resort" properties, and may have spas or other recreational facilities. Other brands include Hyatt Place, designed as a limited service offering for business travelers. An extended stay chain, Summerfield Suites, was acquired by Hyatt in 2005, and was renamed Hyatt House in January 2012. Hyatt launched the Andaz brand in April 2007.  The first Andaz hotel was the Great Eastern Hotel in London, followed by hotels in San Diego, West Hollywood, Shanghai  and New York City (Andaz Wall Street & Andaz 5th Avenue).
On November 2013, Hyatt introduced their first all-inclusive resort brands, Ziva and Hyatt Zilara. As of 2015, Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara offer all inclusive accommodations in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos and Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica.
On October 28, 2015, Hyatt announced that they were in advanced talks to acquire Starwood Hotels in the coming weeks in a cash and stock transaction. The transaction was not completed, and Starwood was acquired by Marriott International instead.
On November 14, 2016, Hyatt and Bahria Town Group signed an agreement for construction of four properties in Pakistan, combined worth US$600 million.  Properties include the Grand Hyatt Golf Resort on Murree Expressway in Islamabad, Hyatt Regency Golf Resort in Bahria Town Karachi, Hyatt Regency in Lahore, and Hyatt Regency in Bahria Town Rawalpindi.  The Hyatt Regency Karachi will feature Pakistan’s first night-lit 36-hole golf. 
On December 6, 2018, Hyatt signed a contract with Kastrati Group to manage MAK Albania Hotel (former Sheraton Tirana) in Tirana, Albania. The hotel will be branded as Hyatt Regency and Residences Tirana. 
- Grand Hyatt hotels are large luxury hotels in major cities and holiday destinations. 
- Park Hyatt hotels are mid-sized, residential luxury hotels in cities considered premier destinations. 
- Andaz hotels are upscale lifestyle boutique-style hotels. 
- Hyatt Regency, Hyatt's flagship hotel brand hotels, are mid- to large-scale premium hotels intended for both leisure and business travelers, including those attending conventions, located in urban, suburban, airport, convention, and resort destinations around the world. 
- Hyatt hotels are smaller full-service hotels with 150 to 350 rooms located close to major business centers. 
- Hyatt Centric is a new, full service lifestyle brand designed for business and leisure travelers. 
- The Unbound Collection by Hyatt is a new division of hotels which are part of the Hyatt system but unbranded, maintaining their individual names. 
- Hyatt Place hotels are mid-sized hotels catering to families.
- Hyatt House (formerly known as Hyatt Summerfield Suites or Summerfield Suites by Wyndham and Hotel Sierra) properties are extended-stay residential hotels and smaller-to-mid-sized modern hotels in urban and suburban locations in the United States. 
- Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva hotels are all-inclusive resorts. Zilara does not accommodate children. 
- Atlanta: The Hyatt Regency Atlanta, the first Hyatt Regency hotel, was built in 1967 and was the first contemporary atrium hotel in the world. As of 2014 [update] it was the only major downtown Atlanta hotel with a front drive on Peachtree Street. Architect John Portman designed the building.
- Austin: The Driskill is the oldest operating hotel in Austin Texas, and a member of Historic Hotels of America.
- Beijing: The Grand Hyatt Beijing opened in 2001 in Beijing city, followed by the Park Hyatt Beijing in 2008.
- Birmingham: The Hyatt Regency Birmingham opened in 1990.
- Carlsbad: The Aviara opened in 1997, is a Forbes Five Star & AAA Five Diamond resort.
- Chennai: Hyatt Regency Chennai and Park Hyatt Chennai
- Chicago: With 2,019 rooms, the Hyatt Regency Chicago is the seventh-largest non-gaming hotel in the world, with the largest freestanding bar in the world.
- Colombo: The Hyatt Regency Colombo (now Grand|Hyatt Colombo) which is under construction is the first Hyatt hotel in Sri Lanka.
- Dallas: The Hyatt Regency Dallas, built in 1978, is most notable for its association with the iconic Dallas landmark Reunion Tower. Originally freestanding, the base of the tower was integrated into the ground floor of the hotel after an expansion project in 1998.
- Denpasar/Bali: Grand Hyatt Bali Hotel is a resort in Nusa Dua, Bali.
- Hong Kong: The Grand Hyatt Hong Kong is a luxury Hyatt hotel in Hong Kong, and the Asian flagship of Hyatt International. The Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin and Hyatt Regency Hong Kong are also five-star hotels in Hong Kong.
- Jacksonville: The Hyatt Regency Jacksonville opened in 2001 under the Adam's Mark brand. Ownership of the riverfront hotel changed along with the name in 2005. With 966 rooms, it is the largest hotel in North Florida.
- Jakarta: Grand Hyatt Jakarta opened in 1991, which is adjacent to Plaza Indonesia. Park Hayatt Jakarta inaugurated in 2018 at Menteng.
- Kansas City, Missouri: Initially named the Hyatt Regency Kansas City, the atrium walkways collapsed in 1981, killing 114. The hotel has since been renamed Sheraton Kansas City at Crown Center and remains in operation.
- Kuala Lumpur: Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - located next to the Kuala Lumpur Convention Center and opened in 2012, marking the return of the iconic chain to the Malaysian capital city (since the Hyatt Regency Saujana near Subang Airport changed management in 2004 and became The Saujana Kuala Lumpur).
- Hollywood: The Continental Hyatt Hotel (now Andaz West Hollywood) was in the movie Almost Famous starring Kate Hudson (2000), and its pool has featured in several films including This is Spinal Tap (1984).
- Park Hyatt Hotel in Century City (now rebranded as InterContinental Hotel) was the scene of the "6th floor into swimming pool" scene in the 1989 movie Lethal Weapon 2 starring Mel Gibson and Danny Glover.
- Century Plaza Hotel, owned by Hyatt, is one of the 11 endangered historic sites. It is currently in renovation.
- Manila: Grand Hyatt Manila, the first supertall building in the Philippines (318m)
- Mumbai: Grand Hyatt Hotel, Mumbai was designed by Chicago's Lohan Associates and opened in 2004.
- New Delhi: Hyatt Regency Delhi The Hyatt Regency Delhi is a luxury hotel in New Delhi, India, built in 1983.
- New York City: Grand Hyatt New York
- San Francisco: The Hyatt Regency San Francisco formerly provided a rooftop revolving restaurant called Equinox, offering 360-degree views of the city and the bay. The restaurant became an elite club for certain hotel guests only and it no longer rotates. This hotel was sold for close to $200 million to Dune Capital Management and DiNapoli Capital Partners in January 2007, about $250,000 per room.  The property was used several times as a filming location, including for Irwin Allen's 1974 disaster film The Towering Inferno, the 1977 Mel Brooks comedy High Anxiety, Don Siegel's 1977 spy thriller Telefon, and the 1979 science fiction thriller Time After Time.
- Taipei: Grand Hyatt Taipei is the only Hotel that’s operated by Hyatt Corporation in Taipei.
- Tokyo: The Park Hyatt Tokyo appeared in the 2003 movie Lost in Translation.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- United States – The Hyatt Regency Kansas City in Kansas City, Missouri, was the site of one of the worst hotel disasters in U.S. history. On July 17, 1981, two of the three skybridges that traversed the hotel's lobby collapsed during a tea dance. The walkways were packed with people when a structural failure occurred, causing one bridge, which was hung from the bridge above it, to pull both bridges loose from the ceiling and collapse. The accident killed 114 people and injured over 200. The hotel was later renamed the Hyatt Regency Crown Center.
- Philippines – The Hyatt Terraces Baguio in the northern city of Baguio collapsed after a July 16, 1990, earthquake.
- Israel – On October 17, 2001, Israeli tourism minister Rehavam Ze'evi was assassinated in the Jerusalem Hyatt Regency on Mount Scopus.
- United States – During Hurricane Katrina (August 23–31, 2005), the Hyatt Regency New Orleans received significant damage as almost all of its windows were blown out and the bottom floor was torn apart by flood damage. The hotel is located in the Central Business District and reopened October 19, 2011. 
- Jordan – On November 9, 2005, the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Amman, Jordan, was targeted by a series of coordinated terrorist attacks along with a Radisson SAS and a Days Inn hotel.
Hyatt's partnership with MGM Resorts International allows members who join both companies' loyalty programs - World of Hyatt and Mlife, respectively - to "status match" (i.e., match their lower status in one of the programs to the higher tier achieved in the other), and then earn points and credits, as well as avail themselves of the perqs and partnerships associated with the higher, matched status in both programs.    
In 2018, Hyatt also began partnering with select properties in the SLH (Small Luxury Hotels of the World) chain, which allows World of Hyatt members to earn and redeem points during their stays at participating SLH properties. 
In October 2018, Hyatt announced their purchase of Two Roads Hospitality, a lifestyle hotel management company, for a base purchase price of $480million. Hyatt will take the management controls of 85 properties of Two Road’s across eight countries. All the hotels will join the World of Hyatt loyalty programme in 2019. 
- "Hyatt Hotels - Management Team". Hyatt Hotels Corporation. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Hyatt Hotels Corporation 2017 Annual Report (Form 10-K)" (PDF). sec.gov. U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. February 2018.
- "Hyatt Hotels Corporation - Investor Relations - Our Company". investors.hyatt.com. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- Tritsch, Shane (2007-06-21). "Tremors in the Empire - Chicago magazine - December 2002 - Chicago". Chicagomag.com. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "New World Development". Nwd.com.hk. Archived from the original on March 8, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Elsinore Corporation". The Gale Group, Inc. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- Knightly, Arnold M. (2009-08-04). "Gaming pioneer Jeanne Hood dies". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "History of Hyatt Corporation". Funding Universe. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Hawaii Island Resort -Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa". hyatt.com.
- "About Hyatt". Hyatt.com. 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation 2010 annual report, Part 1, Item 1, page 3
- "Hyatt Officially Welcomes Hyatt House to the Neighborhood". Hyattpressroom.com. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Hyatt Hotels Corporation Prices Initial Public Offering". Hyattpressroom.com. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- Nadja Brandt (August 6, 2009). "Hyatt to Raise Up to $1.15 Billion in Share Sale". BloombergLPcom.
- Andrews, Suzanna. "Shattered Dynasty". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "About Hyatt". Hyatt.com. 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Hotel Sierra Joins Hyatt". Hyatt.com. 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "Our Brands". Hyattpressroom.com. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation Announces Andaz(TM) Archived 2007-07-06 at the Wayback Machine
- "Boutique 5 Star Hotels in Shanghai, China丨Andaz Xintiandi, Shanghai丨Hyatt". hyatt.com.
- "Bahria Town in deal to build Hyatt hotels - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2016-11-14. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "Bahria Town, Hyatt Hotels sign landmark accord". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- Jonuzaj, Klaudjo. "First Hyatt hotel to open in Albania's Tirana - PM Rama".
- "Grand Hyatt Hotels". Hyatt.com.
- "Park Hyatt Hotels". Hyatt.com.
- "Andaz Hotels by Hyatt". Hyatt.com.
- "Hyatt Regency Hotels". Hyatt.com.
- "Hyatt Hotels". Hyatt.com.
- "Hyatt Centric Hotels". Hyatt.com.
- "The Unbound Collection by Hyatt". Hyatt.com.
- "Hyatt House Hotels".
- "Hyatt All Inclusive Resorts".
- "Hyatt Residence Club".
- San Francisco Regency – Sold
- Jaquetta White, The Times-Picayune. "Hyatt Regency will reopen in October, 6 years after Hurricane Katrina". NOLA.com. Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- Royal, Russin (October 27, 2016). "HYATT TO INTRODUCE NEW GLOBAL LOYALTY PROGRAM "WORLD OF HYATT"". Hyatt.com. Chicago.
- "Other Partnerships". Hyatt.com.
- Hull, Summer (November 6, 2017). "Why You Should Match Your Hyatt Status to M life Now". The Points Guy.
- McNutt, Emily (April 23, 2018). "Earn 20% Bonus Hyatt Points for Las Vegas M life Stays". The Points Guy.
- "Preferred Partners". MGM Resorts.
- Rosenthal,Victoria (August 3, 2018). "Hyatt Hotels partners with SLH to expand loyalty program". Hotel Management. Questex.
- "Hyatt to acquire Two Roads Hospitality". Retrieved 10 October 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hyatt.|