Fort Harrison National Cemetery
|Nearest city||Richmond, Virginia|
FORT HARRISON NATIONAL CEMETERY Latitude and Longitude:
|Area||2 acres (0.81 ha)|
|Architect||Meigs, Montgomery C.|
|Architectural style||Second Empire|
|MPS||Civil War Era National Cemeteries MPS|
|NRHP reference #||95000921 |
|Added to NRHP||August 10, 1995|
|Designated VLR||April 28, 1995 |
Fort Harrison National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located seven miles (11 km) south of the city of Richmond, in Henrico County, Virginia. Administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, It encompasses 1.5 acres (0.61 ha), and as of the end of 2005, had 1,570 interments.
Established after the American Civil War as a place to reinter the Union dead from the various battlefield sites around the area, including from the Battle of Chaffin's Farm. The majority of interments at the cemetery are unknown, and also includes four Confederate prisoners of war that were held at the Fort during the time it was held by the Union.
- Private George A. Buchanan (1842–1864), Medal of Honor recipient for action at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm during the Civil War.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Archived from the original on 2013-09-21. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Therese T. Sammartino (March 8, 1995). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Fort Harrison National Cemetery (URL NOT FULLY FIXED YET)" (PDF). Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Retrieved 2010-05-07.[ dead link] and Accompanying photo at Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission, undated Archived October 1, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- National Cemetery Administration
- Fort Harrison National Cemetery
- Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) No. VA-24, " Fort Harrison National Cemetery, 8620 Varina Road, Richmond, Independent City, VA"
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Fort Harrison National Cemetery
- Fort Harrison National Cemetery at Find a Grave