Eisenhower Birthplace State Historic Site Information
Eisenhower Birthplace State Historic Site in 2009
|Location||720 S. Lamar|
EISENHOWER BIRTHPLACE STATE HISTORIC SITE Latitude and Longitude:
|Area||0.35 acres (0.14 ha)|
|Architectural style||Carpenter Gothic|
|Website||Eisenhower Birthplace State Historic Site|
|NRHP reference #||16000718 |
|Added to NRHP||October 11, 2016|
|Designated TSHS||1958 |
The Eisenhower Birthplace State Historic Site is located at 609 S. Lamar Avenue in Denison, Grayson County, in the U.S. state of Texas. President Dwight D. Eisenhower was born in the house on October 14, 1890, the first United States President to be born in Texas.
Eisenhower's military success as Supreme Allied Commander Europe during World War II prompted local Denison school principal Jennie Jackson to correspond with General Eisenhower. She inquired if he was from the Eisenhower family she remembered in Denison. His family had moved to Kansas when he was two years old, and until he received Jackson's letter, he was unaware he had been born in Denison. Eisenhower's mother Ida Elizabeth Stover was still alive at the time, and he put his mother in touch with Jackson. Upon hearing from Eisenhower's mother that this was indeed his birthplace, Jackson set about to raise funds to purchase the two-story frame house. After the purchase, the house was then donated to the city of Denison, Texas.  The museum was established in 1955.  After Eisenhower was elected President, the Eisenhower Foundation was formed in 1953 for restoration. The Foundation created a park by removing several other houses in the nearby vicinity, and doing landscaping improvements. In 1958, the restored home and surrounding park was donated to the State Parks Board. On January 1, 2008, the Eisenhower Birthplace was transferred from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to the Texas Historical Commission. 
- List of Texas state historic sites
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Grayson County, Texas
- Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks in Grayson County
- Museums in North Texas
- Eisenhower State Park (Texas)
- "National Register of Historic Places Program: Weekly List". National Park Service. October 21, 2016. Retrieved November 21, 2016.
- "Eisenhower Birthplace History". Texas Historical Commission. April 8, 2016. Retrieved November 21, 2016.
- Parent, Laurence (2008). Official Guide to Texas State Parks and Historic Sites. University of Texas Press. p. 49. ISBN 978-0-292-71726-8.
- "Eisenhower Birthplace". Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks. Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Hart, Brian. "Eisenhower Birthplace State Historical Site". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eisenhower Birthplace State Historic Site.|
|This article about a property in Texas on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|