|21st Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction|
January 5, 2015 – January 7, 2019
|Preceded by||John Huppenthal|
|Succeeded by||Kathy Hoffman|
|Born||Plainfield, New Jersey, U.S.|
Raritan Valley Community College|
Rutgers University ( BA)
Diane Douglas is an American politician who served as Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction from 2015-2019. She was elected on November 4, 2014, edging out her Democratic opponent, David Garcia, by one percentage point. 
Douglas succeeded then-incumbent John Huppenthal, whom she defeated for the party's nomination in the Republican primary on August 26, 2014.
Immediately after her election, Douglas faced a recall effort by voters who felt she was not qualified for the position. 
In 2018, Douglas decided to remove evolution from the Arizona state education standards. 
Prior to serving as Superintendent of Public Instruction, Douglas worked in accounting and financial analysis for several firms. She has also spoken at conferences sponsored by AZ Right to Life and Americans for Prosperity.
Douglas was elected as the Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction in 2014. She was subsequently sworn into office on January 5, 2015, succeeding John Huppenthal, who lost in the Republican primary on August 26, 2014.  
In her first year in office, a recall effort failed to gather enough signatures to make the ballot.  However, as of August 2016, Douglas' approval rating was just 16 percent.  In the 2018 elections, Douglas lost her re-election bid in the Republican party primary, finishing third in a closely contested race in which the top four candidates all received approximately 20% to 22% of the vote.  She was eventually succeeded by Democrat Kathy Hoffman.
|Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction Republican Primary Election, 2014|
|Republican||John Huppenthal (inc.)||206,744||41.56|
|Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction Election, 2014|
|Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction Republican Primary Election, 2018 |
|Republican||Diane Douglas (inc.)||121,452||21.22|
- "Douglas wins Arizona schools superintendent race".
- FOX. "Effort continues to recall Diane Douglas".
- "Arizona state education standards see evolution deleted".
- "Candidate for Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction Diane Douglas". 6 October 2014.
- "AZ Supt. of Public Instruction: Douglas wins top post, Garcia concedes".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-12-10. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "Chairman: Effort to recall Superintendent Diane Douglas fails".
- "Poll: Arizona schools chief Diane Douglas' approval rating remains at only 16 percent".
- "State of Arizona Official Canvass" (PDF). Arizona Secretary of State.
- Official website, Superintendent of Public Instruction
Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction
|This article about an Arizona politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|