David "Dave" Kaptain
|Mayor of Elgin, Illinois|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Ed Schock|
|Born||1947/1948 (age 70–71)
Elgin, Illinois, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Sandy Kaptain |
|Alma mater||Bradley University |
Dave Kaptain is an American chemist and politician who is the current mayor of Elgin, Illinois.  Kaptain won the April 2011 election by receiving 54.35% of the mayoral votes, defeating incumbent Ed Schock. 
Kaptain graduated from School District U-46 schools and received a bachelor's degree from Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois.  He worked for 32 years for the Fox River Water Reclamation District, including as a chief chemist, before retiring from there.   He was also the Elgin Community Network's executive director. 
He was on the Elgin city council from 2005 until becoming mayor.  After winning the election for mayor, Kaptain said that part of his approach would be to visit the homes of community members in Elgin to confer with them about city governance matters and to encourage higher voter turnout. 
- Jenco, Melissa (April 5, 2011). "Kaptain ousts Schock as mayor". TribLocal (Elgin ed.). Tribune Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- Jenco, Melissa (March 23, 2011). "Candidates give Elgin a choice for mayor". TribLocal (Elgin ed.). Tribune Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- "About Dave". Elgin, Illinois: Dave Kaptain Election Fund. Archived from the original on September 20, 2011. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- Jenco, Melissa (April 12, 2011). "Knocking on doors a winning strategy". TribLocal (Elgin ed.). Tribune Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- Danahey, Mike (April 27, 2011). "Kaptain sworn in as Elgin mayor". The Courier-News. Elgin, Illinois: Sun-Times Media Group. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|