Cliff Pond Information
Nickerson State Park|
CLIFF POND Latitude and Longitude:
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||204 acres (83 ha)|
|Average depth||28 feet (8.5 m)|
|Max. depth||88 feet (27 m)|
|Shore length1||2.6 miles (4.2 km)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Cliff Pond was totally reclaimed in 1960 and, like many kettle ponds has been treated for alkalinity over the years. The Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife stocks the pond in spring and fall with various trout species. It also has smallmouth bass and various other species.   In 1992, a world record American eel (8 pounds, 9 ounces, 46 inches long, 10.5 inches in girth) was caught. 
The pond has had repeated problems with bluegreen algae blooms causing closures over the years and was treated in spring 2016 with aluminum sulfate.  Water transparency has improved and the treatment is expected to last twenty years. 
- "Cliff Pond" (PDF). MassWildlife. Mass Division of Fisheries and Wildlife. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- "Massachusetts Stocked Waters" (PDF). MassWildlife. Massachusetts Department of Fisheries and Wildlife. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- Meringolo, Dominic (December 1, 2016). "Pond Management: The Restoration of Cliff Pond, in Brewster, MA". SOLitude Lake Management. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- Myers, K.C. (May 16, 2016). "State completes treatment of pond in Nickerson State Park". capecodtimes.com. Cape Cod Times. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- MassWildlife map and info
- "The Amazing Cliff Pond Trail" capecodonline.com (Photos of the pond)
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cliff Pond
|This Barnstable County, Massachusetts geography–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|