|Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge|
IUCN category IV (habitat/species management area)
|Location||Citrus County and Hernando County, Florida, United States|
|Nearest city||Homosassa, Florida|
CHASSAHOWITZKA NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE Latitude and Longitude:
|Area||31,000 acres (125 km2)|
|Governing body||US Fish & Wildlife Service|
|Website||Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge|
The 30,843 acres (124.82 km2) Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge is part of the United States National Wildlife Refuge System, located on the west coast of Florida, about 70 miles (110 km) north of St. Petersburg. It is famous as the southern wintering site for the re-introduced eastern population of whooping cranes.
The Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge Complex was changed to the Crystal River Complex, headquartered at Crystal River, Florida , and consists of portions of the Chassahowitzka River and Crystal River, as well as what are known as the Tampa Bay Refuges: Egmont Key, Passage Key and Pinellas.
The Chassahowitzka Wilderness Area is part of the refuge, and consists of 23,578.93 acres (95.4205 km2) or 76.4% of its total area. Only a portion in the northeast is not designated as Wilderness.
In 2001, the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership raised whooping crane (Grus americana) chicks in Wisconsin's Necedah National Wildlife Refuge then guided them to the Chassahowitzka NWR for the winter. Despite severe mortality from hurricanes in 2007, the re-introduction has been successful and by 2010 there were up to 105 migrating birds established in the eastern United States for the first time in over 100 years. 
- Crystal River Complex- Retrieved 2017-12-26
- Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership December 2010 Project Update (Report). Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership. December 2010. Archived from the original on 2011-05-28. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Media related to Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge at Wikimedia Commons
- Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge Official site
- Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge at Friends of Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge Complex
- Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge at Gorp.com
- Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge at National Wildlife Refuge Association
|This Florida protected area related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a location in Hernando County, Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a location in Citrus County, Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|