Busta Rhymes Island Information
|Etymology||Named after Busta Rhymes|
BUSTA RHYMES ISLAND Latitude and Longitude:
|Adjacent bodies of water||Mill Pond, Shrewsbury|
|Area||149 m2 (1,600 sq ft)|
|Length||12 m (39 ft)|
|Width||12 m (39 ft)|
Busta Rhymes Island is the proposed name of an unnamed island in Shrewsbury, Worcester County, Massachusetts.     The island is named after the rapper Busta Rhymes and is located in Mill Pond in Shrewsbury and measures 40 by 40 feet (12 m × 12 m).  The proposal was made by Shrewsbury resident Kevin O'Brien who began frequenting and caring for the upkeep of the island. O'Brien stated he wanted it to be called Busta Rhymes Island as it had "rope-swinging, blueberries, and . . . stuff Busta would enjoy." 
O'Brien has attempted to register the name with the United States Board on Geographic Names, however the name was refused as the rules require the person commemorated to have been dead for at least 5 years.  O'Brien has since attempted to have the name adopted officially through a rule related to local usage of a name, and has named the Island on Google Maps.     A petition has been created for the US Board on Geographic Names to formally recognise the name. 
- Mars, Roman (March 13, 2014). "One Man's Mission to Name an Island After Busta Rhymes". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- Reed, James (March 13, 2009). "Busta Rhymes Island is for real - The Boston Globe". archive.boston.com. Boston Globe. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- "'Busta Rhymes Island' is a place you could find in Massachusetts -- sort of". masslive.com. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- "People Freaked Out After Learning 'Busta Rhymes Island' Has Existed for Years". Complex. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Ferro, Shaunacy (March 12, 2014). "Massachusetts Has A Busta Rhymes Island". Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- "Busta Rhymes Island". Atlas Obscura. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- "One Man Is An Island". 99% Invisible. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- "Busta Rhymes Island exists in Massachusetts on Google Maps but not in real life. Here's why". Boston.com. March 16, 2018. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Bentley, Coleman. "Google Maps recognizes lone hero's campaign to rename island after Busta Rhymes - Golf Digest". Golf Digest. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- "Shrewsbury "Busta Rhymes" island got viral on Twitter Moments | Shrewsbury Post". The Shrewsbury Post. March 7, 2018. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- "Petition The Government To Formally Recognize "Busta Rhymes Island"". April 3, 2014. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "Massachusetts Has A Busta Rhymes Island". March 12, 2014. Retrieved August 9, 2016.