Big Buffalo Valley Historic District Information
Big Buffalo Valley Historic District
Orphea Duty barn
|Nearest city||Ponca, Arkansas|
|NRHP reference #||87000110|
|Added to NRHP||July 29, 1987 |
The Big Buffalo Valley Historic District, also known as the Boxley Valley Historic District, is notable as a cultural landscape in Buffalo National River. It comprises the Boxley Valley in northern Arkansas, near the town of Ponca. The valley includes a number of family-operated farms, primarily dating between 1870 and 1930. The farms are situated on either side of the road that parallels the river, Highway 43. Many of these farms are still operated by the descendants of the original homesteaders. However, of fifty residences in the valley, thirty were vacant in 1987, at the time of historic designation.  
Structures in the valley have been classified into three historical phases:
- The Old-Ozarks-Frontier phase, comprising the period of the 1830s to the 1870s, focusing on settlement and homesteading, with a continuing tradition of log construction extending to the 1930s.
- The Cosmopolitan-Ozarks phase, from circa 1895 to 1950, in which a more urban style was used for housing, with large barns and the appearance of specialized buildings for shops and services.
- The New-Ozarks-Frontier phase, from 1950 to the present, with a suburban design influence. 
- Buffalo River State Park Historic District
- Rush Historic District
- Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Newton County, Arkansas
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Michael Bureman and Craig Frazier (March 1985). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Big Buffalo Valley Historic District" (pdf). National Park Service.
- "Boxley Valley: Edgmon, Doy Feed House/Cattle Shed". List of Classified Structures. National Park Service. 2008-11-29. Archived from the original on 2011-05-21. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boxley Valley Historic District.|
|This article about a property in Newton County, Arkansas on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|