Bishop International Airport
|Owner/Operator||Bishop International Airport Authority|
|Location||3425 W. Bristol Rd.|
|Elevation AMSL||782 ft / 238.4 m|
BISHOP INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT Latitude and Longitude:
Bishop International Airport ( IATA: FNT, ICAO: KFNT, FAA LID: FNT) is a commercial and general aviation airport located in Flint, Michigan. It is named after banker and General Motors board member Arthur Giles Bishop (April 12, 1851 – January 22, 1944), who donated 220 acres of his farmland for the airport in 1928.   The third busiest airport in Michigan after Detroit and Grand Rapids, it surpassed competitor MBS International Airport in terms of airline operations in 2002. In 2007, 1,071,238 passengers used Bishop International Airport; in 2011, 938,914 passengers used the airport.  It is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2017–2021, in which it is categorized as a small hub primary commercial service facility.  The airport is currently served by several passenger airlines: Allegiant Air and Delta Air Lines operate mainline service out of the airport, and regional services are provided by affiliates of Delta Connection, United Express and American Eagle. Additionally, FedEx Express and a FedEx Feeder affiliate operate cargo services out of the airport. Accompanying the airlines is fixed-base operator Av Flight that handles both general aviation and airline operations  and the flight school American Wings Aviation.  It is in southwestern Flint, and is surrounded by Flint Township to the north, east and west; and Mundy Township to the south.
In early February 2007, Bishop International Airport unveiled a comprehensive 5-year developmental plan that would be slated for continuation through late 2011. The program called for two phases of "Intermodal Facility Development," including the expansion of the West Cargo Apron, what is now known as the Abex and Emory GVA Freight Ramp,  located on the airport's northwest side.
In May 2009, Bishop International Airport began Phase I of its Terminal Airside & Concourse Improvements program. Projects under this phase were developed in 2008. Included in this phase are upgrades to the terminal ramp, upon which the passenger concourse resides; the permanent closure and deconstruction of Runway 5/23; and the acquisition of new land for an envisioned Runway 9L/27R, which is scheduled to be designed in 2009 and constructed in 2010.
Runway 5/23 was closed permanently on May 4, 2009,  as progress continued in the Capital Improvement Program.
On April 24, 2012, the airport's board of directors approved a $1.348 million project to repair the airport's tarmac.  On September 19, 2012, it was announced that the Federal Aviation Administration approved a grant to fund the project. 
The completed terminal was dedicated on November 13, 2012. 
The airport's board allocated an additional $10.9 million for upgrades in 2013 and 2014. 
On September 28, 2017, the airport received a $4,302,000 grant from the Federal Aviation Administration which will be used to rehabilitate the pavement of Taxiway C, construct asphalt shoulders and install runway guard lights at each access point to the runway. 
On July 30, 2018, the FAA gave the airport a $4,012,542 grant for taxiway construction, rehabilitation and lighting. 
Bishop International Airport covers 1,550 acres (6 km²) and has two runways: 
- Runway 18/36: 7,848 x 150 ft. (2,392 x 46 m), Surface: Asphalt/Concrete
- Runway 9/27: 7,200 x 150 ft. (2,195 x 46 m), Surface: Asphalt
Seasonal: Myrtle Beach 
|Delta Air Lines||Atlanta|
Seasonal: Indianapolis, Pittsburgh
|2||Chicago–O'Hare, Illinois||92,390||American, United|
|4||Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota||33,790||Delta|
|5||St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Florida||27,600||Allegiant|
|7||Punta Gorda, Florida||18,950||Allegiant|
|9||Myrtle Beach, South Carolina||2,060||Allegiant|
2018 was Bishop's worst year since 2002, with departures down about 10 percent -- from 400,781 in 2017 to 360,609 in 2018. 
Bishop International Airport is accessible from I-69, I-75/ US-23 and I-475 at Bristol Road. The airport is also served by a bus line operated by the Flint MTA, local taxi services, and Uber which operates in the Flint area.
Several car rental agencies are available at the airport. 
The Bishop International Airport Authority (BIAA) is the joint public authority created by Genesee County and the city of Flint to run Bishop International Airport. The Authority Board has nine members appointed to three-year terms.  BIAA operates the airport's public safety and maintenance departments. On January 27, 2014, airport director Jim Rice retired after 24 years of service.  The service drive in front of the airport that leads to the terminal and front parking lot has since been renamed in his honor. The board later named Craig Williams, former Fort Wayne-Allen County Airport Authority board member, as his successor on July 22, 2014. 
- On November 16, 2011, a Piaggio P.180 Avanti operating as Avantair Flight 168 ( Detroit Metro to West Bend Municipal, tail number N168SL) crashed upon landing due to an engine failure. The plane was damaged beyond repair, but everyone aboard survived with only minor injuries.  
- On December 12, 2011, four people from Saginaw were arrested at Bishop International Airport trying to smuggle 122 pounds (55 kg) of marijuana from Phoenix. 
- On June 21, 2017, airport police Lieutenant Jeff Neville was stabbed in the neck by a man who shouted " Allahu Akbar" while doing so.   A Tunisian-born Canadian man, Amor Ftouhi, was arrested at the scene as a suspect. Neville survived the attack. The attack was condemned by the Canadian government.  Ftouhi was found guilty of three federal counts in November 2018. He is scheduled to be sentenced in March 2019. 
- On January 6, 2019, a Cessna 210 Centurion crash landed at Bishop due to landing gear failure. All four people aboard escaped uninjured. 
- On January 18, 2019, it was reported that the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality found elevated levels of PFAS in groundwater at the airport. 
- FAA Airport Master Record for FNT ( PDF), effective May 25, 2017.
- Fly through Bishop Airport history with 46 old photos The Flint Journal via MLive.com, March 5, 2015
- Picture History of Flint: U.S. Bicentennial Edition, Edited by Lawrence R. Gustin, Published in 1976 by The Flint Journal, ISBN 0-8028-7036-8
- Measures of Michigan Air Carrier Demand Archived July 10, 2012, at Archive.today, Michigan Department of Transportation, Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- "List of NPIAS Airports" (PDF). FAA.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- AvFlight - Bishop International Airport
- American Wings Aviation - Flint, Michigan Archived April 20, 2017, at the Wayback Machine Pilot Career Center
- FAA Bishop International Airport Airport Diagram[ permanent dead link]
- FNT NOTAM 05/006 "RWY 5/23 CLSD PERM. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 04 MAY 12:34 2009"
- Security process at Bishop International airport eases for seniors The Flint Journal via MLive.com June 1, 2012
- Flint Bishop International Airport board approves $1.3 million repair of tarmac The Flint Journal via MLive.com, April 24, 2012
- Federal $1.4 million grant for Bishop International Airport will help pay for pavement The Flint Journal via MLive.com, September 19, 2012
- Bishop International Airport opens new TSA checkpoint as part of $16.8 million renovation project The Flint Journal via MLive.com, October 6, 2012
- Bishop International Airport to hold dedication for $16.8 million addition The Flint Journal via MLive.com, November 12, 2012
- Bishop International Airport looks to make $10.9 million in improvements for next two years The Flint Journal via MLive.com, December 1, 2012
- Flint's Bishop International Airport gets $2.9 million US grant WNEM-TV, August 29, 2013
- Bishop International Airport to receive $4 million grant WEYI-TV (NBC 25), September 28, 2017
- Bishop Airport gets $4 million in federal grants for improvements The Flint Journal via MLive.com, August 1, 2018
- Allegiant announces new flights from Flint to Ft. Lauderdale, Myrtle Beach The Flint Journal via MLive.com, March 7, 2018
- Bishop International Airport Flight Tracker FlightAware
- Bishop International Airport Facts Research and Innovative Technology Administration, Bureau of Transportation Statistics
- Flint Bishop Airport’s 2018 passenger traffic dropped to lowest level since 2002 The Flint Journal via MLive.com, January 29, 2019
- Car Rentals Archived February 19, 2015, at the Wayback Machine Bishop International Airport official site
- Airport Authority Board Archived February 25, 2015, at the Wayback Machine. Bishop International Airport Authority.
- Bishop Airport Director Jim Rice retiring after 24 years, search starting for replacement The Flint Journal via MLive.com, January 27, 2014
- New Bishop International Airport director meets lifelong goal in new role The Flint Journal via MLive.com, July 23, 2014
- Bishop public safety director on plane crash: Passengers shocked but able to walk away The Flint Journal via MLive.com November 16, 2011
- N168SL NTSB Accident Report
- Saginaw police nab marijuana-filled suitcases at Flint's Bishop International Airport The Flint Journal via MLive.com, December 13, 2011
- Stabbing at Bishop Airport being investigated as act of terrorism, one person in custody WJRT-TV (ABC 12), June 21, 2017
- FBI: Too early to say knife attack at Flint Bishop Airport is terrorism The Flint Journal via MLive.com, June 21, 2017
- "Canadian man charged after possible terror attack at Michigan airport, FBI says | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- Jury convicts Canadian man on terrorism, all charges in stabbing of airport cop The Flint Journal via MLive.com, November 13, 2018
- Landing gear issue on private plane leads to emergency landing at Bishop Airport The Flint Journal via MLive.com, January 6, 2019
- Elevated levels of PFAS found in groundwater at Bishop Airport The Flint Journal via MLive.com, January 18, 2019