|Big Woods State Forest|
|Location||Sussex County, Virginia|
BIG WOODS STATE FOREST Latitude and Longitude:
|Area||2,188 acres (8.85 km2)|
|Governing body||Virginia Department of Forestry|
The property, previously used for timber production by International Paper, was acquired by the Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) in 2010. It was part of a $6.4 million purchase of 4,400 acres (18 km2) undertaken by VDOF and the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF); the remainder of the purchased property was used to create Big Woods Wildlife Management Area, located immediately adjacent Big Woods State Forest and managed by VDGIF.  
Big Woods State Forest covers a landscape typified by pine savanna; it contains primarily loblolly pine from its days as a timber plantation, and newer plantings of longleaf pine.  Wildlife on the property include deer, wild turkey, bobcat, fox, coyote, and rabbit. 
The state forest borders both the Big Woods Wildlife Management Area and The Nature Conservancy's Piney Grove Preserve, a 3,200-acre (13 km2) property dedicated to restoring longleaf pine forest for the benefit of the endangered red-cockaded woodpecker.   Management of both the state forest and wildlife management area aims to promote the survival of the red-cockaded woodpecker through the planting of longleaf pine and the installation of nest boxes. 
Hunting, fishing, horseback riding, and hiking is permitted within Big Woods State Forest; all activities except hiking require visitors to possess a valid State Forest Use Permit. 
- "Big Woods State Forest". Virginia Department of Forestry. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Passut, Charlie (July 23, 2010). "Big Woods now a state forest, wildlife area". The Tidewater News. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Harper, Scott (September 27, 2011). "Big Woods State Forest gets boost from Va". The Virginian–Pilot. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- "Piney Grove Preserve". Nature.org. The Nature Conservancy. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Thomas, James Jr. (January 11, 2015). "Beyond Suffolk to the Big Woods". The Virginian–Pilot. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Big Woods State Forest.|
|This article related to a protected area in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Sussex County, Virginia state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|