Election results by boroughs
|Elections in Alaska|
Incumbent Frank Murkowski (R), first elected governor in 2002, ran for reelection but was defeated in a landslide in the Republican primary by former Wasilla mayor Sarah Palin on August 22, 2006. Murkowski's approval rating at the time of the election was 19%. Murkowski also faced opposition from former state lawmaker and Fairbanks businessman John Binkley.
|Republican||Frank Murkowski (inc.)||19,412||19.09|
Former two-term Governor Tony Knowles and state lawmaker Eric Croft competed for the Democratic ticket for governor. Knowles had a substantial lead over Croft, both at the polls and with fund raising.[ citation needed]
- Don Wright – bush pilot, '02 gubernatorial nominee
- Billy Toien – '02 gubernatorial nominee
- Andrew Halcro – former Republican state representative, businessman
Republican candidate Sarah Palin, Democratic candidate Tony Knowles, and independent candidate Andrew Halcro faced each other in the general election. Anchorage businessman Andrew Halcro ran as an Independent in the race for governor. Halcro has served in the Alaska State legislature in the past, and is known as a fiscal hawk. Halcro collected about 4,000 signatures to be placed on the general election ballot without party affiliation. Despite Knowles' experience, Palin's charisma and conservatism was able to win her her first statewide election.
|Source||Date||Palin (R)||Knowles (D)|
|Rasmussen||November 3, 2006||45%||44%|
|Rasmussen||October 9, 2006||47%||40%|
|Field Research Corporation||October 5, 2006||49%||37%|
|Rasmussen||September 8, 2006||52%||38%|
|Rasmussen||August 3, 2006||51%||38%|
|Ivan Moore Research||June 7, 2006||39%||43%|
|Republican||Sarah Palin / Sean Parnell||114,697||48.33%||-7.6%|
|Democratic||Tony Knowles / Ethan Berkowitz||97,238||40.97%||+0.3%|
|Independent||Andrew Halcro / Fay Von Gemmingen||22,443||9.46%||n/a|
|Alaskan Independence||Don Wright / Douglas L. Welton||1,285||0.54%||-0.4%|
|Libertarian||Billy Toien / Robert D. Mirabal||682||0.29%||-0.2%|
|Write-in candidate||Write-in votes||384||0.16%||+0.1%|
- "STATE OF ALASKA - 2006 PRIMARY ELECTION AUGUST 22, 2006 OFFICIAL RESULTS". Archived from the original on March 4, 2010. Retrieved February 11, 2010.
- "PRIMARY ELECTION August 22, 2006 Primary Election Results". Archived from the original on November 27, 2008. Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- Christiansen, Scott. Grooming the gov: Frank Murkowski seems to be in an endless battle with reporters. That may be just the way he likes it. Anchorage Press. June 22, 2005.
- Moore, Jason. Croft takes first step into governor's race[ permanent dead link]. KTUU. June 16, 2005.
- State of Alaska Division of Elections results