|Publisher||William J. Slator|
The Addison County Independent is a biweekly newspaper located in Middlebury, VT that covers Addison County. The paper was founded in 1946 as the Addison Independent and is now owned and managed by Angelo Lynn.  The paper has a website, and uses a pay wall to charge for some of its content.  It is a member of the New England Newspapers and Press Association,  and in 2016, the paper won the award of first place for general excellence in its class from the association.  The paper is published twice weekly on Mondays and Thursdays.
The Addison Independent was published from 1946 - 1955 by William J. Slator and his wife Celine  . At the time they owned Addison Press, Inc. which published the paper as well as served a commercial printing plant.  In 1955 the succeeding title of the newspaper became The Addison County Independent which also marked the start of the newspaper transitioning from a weekly to bi-weekly circulation schedule. 
In 1984 the current owner, Angelo Lynn, purchased the paper. 
The Addison County Independent's web site carries local stories and allows for individual online subscriptions.
|1998||Sports Columnist - Weekly Class 2 Category ||1st||Andy Kirkaldy|
|2016||General Excellence in its class ||1st||Addison County Independent|
|2015||Top Newspaper Web Site - Weekly||1st||Addison County Independent|
|2009||Business and Economic Reporting ||2nd||Kathryn Flagg|
|2009||Social Issues Feature Story ||3rd||Kathryn Flagg|
|1999 ||General News Photography||1st and 2nd||Trent Campbell|
|Feature Photography||2nd and 3rd||Trent Campbell|
|Non-Daily Sportswriter||1st||Andy Kirkaldy|
|2000 ||Best sports writing (non-daily)||1st||Andy Kirkaldy|
|Feature writing (non-daily)||3rd||Jennifer Jensen|
|Sports photo (non-daily)||1st & 3rd||Trent Campbell|
|Feature photo (non-daily)||2nd||Trent Campbell|
|News photo (non-daily)||3rd||Trent Campbell|
|2006 ||General Excellence - non-daily||3rd||Addison County Independent|
|Sports Writing - non-daily||1st||Andy Kirkaldy|
|Best local story - non-daily||2nd||John Flowers|
|Feature Writing - non-daily||3rd||John Flowers|
|Photo Sports - non-daily||3rd||Trent Campbell|
|Photo - general news - non-daily||2nd||Trent Campbell|
|Photo - feature - non-daily||3rd||Trent Campbell|
|2002 ||Best local story||2nd||Travis Fahey|
|Sports Writing - non-daily||2nd||Andy Kirkaldy|
|Feature Writing - non-daily||2nd||John Flowers|
|Feature Photo - non-daily||1st||Trent Campbell|
|General News Photo - non-daily||1st||Trent Campbell|
- "Addison independent". Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- Addison Independent (2010). "About Us Page". Addison Independent. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- Addison Independent (2010). "Online Subscriber Access". Addison Independent. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- New England Newspapers and Press Association (2010). "Vermont Members Page". Archived from the original on 2010-10-23. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- New England Newspapers and Press Association (2010). "2009 NENPA Better Newspaper Contest". Retrieved 2010-07-04.[ permanent dead link]
- "Clipping from The Burlington Free Press - Newspapers.com". Newspapers.com. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Library of Congress, Chronicling America". Chronicling America. July 2, 2018. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- Haughney, Christine. "Vermont Sisters With Roots in News Embrace Small-Town Papers". Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Business Wire, Incorporated". advance.lexis.com. January 30, 1998. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Weekly newspapers shine at annual NEPA awards". Burlington Free Press. February 16, 2009.
- "VT Press Association announces annual awards". Burlington Free Press. September 20, 1999.
- "Vt. Press group announces awards". Burlington Free Press. August 28, 2000. Retrieved July 20, 2018.
- "Vermont press gets praise at awards ceremony". Bennington Banner. November 14, 2006.
- "The Associated Press State and Local Wire". May 20, 2002. Retrieved July 3, 2018.
- Addison Independent Website
- Addison Independent Chronicling America entry (1946 - 1955)
- Addison County Independent Chronicling America entry (1955 - current)