|Introduced||21 March 2015|
|TLD type||Generic top-level domain|
|Intended use||Technology and startups|
In 2012, ICANN announced it would be expanding the range of domain extensions to further organize the internet with .tech being requested by multiple parties.  Six companies including Google, Uniregistry, Donuts (Lone Moon, LLC), STRAAT Investments, and Top Level Domain Holdings Ltd. filed applications for this TLD in one of the first ICANN New gTLD application public auctions.  
In 2017, a .tech domain name won an SEO ranking contest.   As of August 2019, startup companies using the .tech domain had raised over $2 billion in venture capital.  The gTLD partners with GitHub offering one year of free registration as part of its Student Developer Pack. 
The .tech gTLD is used by an array of websites in the technology sector with companies like Cisco and Intel launching sites that use the extension.  Other notable uses of the TLD include the Consumer Electronics Show (CES)  and Viacom  along with startups such as Aurora Innovation, Flit, and Innoviz. 
- Garber, Megan (2012-06-13). "Google Wants '.LOL' and Other Stories From the Internet Land Rush of '12". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- Shankland, Stephen. "From .coffee to .email to .xyz: The Web's crazy new reality is here". CNET. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- Levy, Ari (2015-05-18). "Dot-com to .pizza: Welcome to the Web domain rush". CNBC. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- Priestley, Daniel (2019-04-16). "4 Lessons From an Entrepreneur Who Became a Self-Made Billionaire Before Turning 40". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "Radix Excited About Attention New Companies Built on Their TLDs Received at Web Summit 2017". www.dnjournal.com. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "Turakhia brothers: Getting it right, time after time". Forbes India. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "The solar marketing revolution you've never heard of: New top-level domains". Solar Power World. 2019-01-16. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "Winner of Wix's SEO Hero challenge explains strategy". TheDomains.com. 2017-04-11. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- ".Tech startups have raised over $2Billion in Venture Capital". TheDomains.com. 2019-08-23. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "GitHub adds 21 new partners to its free Student Developer Pack". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "Cisco and Intel roll out websites built on a .tech". TLD Investors. 2017-11-21. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "Consumer Electronics Show migrates to WWW.CES.TECH". TheDomains.com. 2016-06-09. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "The global tech industry is moving to .tech domains. What about you?". Code for Geek. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- August 28 (2019-08-28). "Three automotive startups branding on .TECH have raised over $1B, here's a look at what they're doing to disrupt transportation". MorganLinton.com. Retrieved 2019-10-23.