Draft:Yarmouth House

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Yarmouth House c. 1948

Yarmouth House was built in 1875 and is in the center of the Historic Freemason District in Norfolk, Virginia. It was constructed in the Italianate architectural style, which was a popular architectural style in the United States from the 1840’s. One of the main features of this style can be seen on Yarmouth House’s eaves, which are supported by brackets or corbels.

History[edit]

Pencil Drawing of Yarmouth House

Yarmouth House was built by Judge Robert W. Hughes in 1875. In 1885 Dr. Herbert Milton Nash purchased Yarmouth House for $3,500 and lived there until his death in 1911. Dr. Nash moved to Yarmouth House to begin his practice and for his efforts in the outbreak of Yellow Fever was recognized by the Secretary of the Navy and awarded a gold medal by the City of Portsmouth. In 1893, during Dr. Nash’s ownership, it is believed that his daughter, Elizabeth, etched her initials “EPN” into one of the second-story east-facing window panes on the night of her engagement to test the authenticity of the diamond she had been given by Edwin G. Lee.

From 1960 to 1999 Yarmouth House was home to Norfolk Testing Laboratories, where all coal leaving Lambert's Point by ship to Europe and South America was tested. Between 1999-2000, it was extensively remodeled to the standards of the National Historic Trust. Since 2000 it has been home to the law practice of Waldo & Lyle, P.C.

Yarmouth House c. 2008

References[edit]

Category:Italianate architecture in Virginia Category:Houses in Norfolk, Virginia Category:Houses completed in 1875