Waheed Ahmed Hasan Abdulrahman Alkhan
March 28, 1958
|Occupation||Musician, Composer, Businessman|
|Music Playlist The Return Live Album|
Waheed Alkhan (Arabic: وحيد الخان) (born 28 March 1958) is a Bahraini musician and businessman. He is an experienced strategic businessman with broad exposure across music, entertainment, management and development sectors. He has composed many music works locally and internationally since 1982, and recently released his unique orchestral album “THE RETURN” which had been performed in several countries around the world, and still on. Aside from that, he had designed and directed numerous multimedia shows in grand ceremonies and major international events.
He grew up from a family that appreciates arts. During his early childhood, he started reading poetry and was greatly influenced by his musically inclined grandparents and relatives. He was taught to play an accordion before he continued studying at school, choosing music over engineering and joined The Conservatory (Egypt) in 1974.
Graduated from Cairo Conservatory of Music with a Bachelor's Degree in Oboe and Piano (1982), and a Master's Degree in Ethnomusicology (1985). Likely studied in the Conservatory of Cairo until becomes a very reputed instructor from the X Soviet union during the cultural cooperation between Egypt and the X Soviet Union. Studied under professors: Dr. Martha Roy- USA, Dr. Margit Toth - Hungary, Dr. Samha Al Khooly, and many other international instructors and mentors.
Waheed started his musical career very actively during the 80s, then got occupied and ventured the world of business for more than 10 years and has established and run a large financial company. After that, he then decided to make a comeback to his original passion for music.
In 1982, he established the Classical Institute of Music, the first proper music center in Bahrain. In 1989, he established the first and the largest multi-track recording studio "24 Track" system, which was the highest level of technical voice recording at that time. Waheed had composed many of the musical pieces locally and internationally.
In 1991, he was awarded the Bahrain Prize for Research for his study of “Pearl Divers Songs in Bahrain, a musical analytical study, which is considered the only specialized study for Bahraini diving songs, until today.
In July 2018, Waheed came back to his passion strongly with his album “THE RETURN - Spirit of Bahrain," which includes tracks such as My Muharraq, Our Waltz, Rise, Dance for Me, and Loyalty, to name a few, which he performed at the 27th edition of the Arab Music Festival held in Cairo in November 2018. These orchestral compositions are classified as world music and had been performed by several orchestras in different countries, including Europe and the Middle East. The concerts had proven that "The Return" album had achieved its goals and well received by European and Middle Eastern audience, especially at Kodály Center in Hungary, at Cairo Opera House in Egypt, as well as during BACA’s annual celebration of the National Action Charter, on 14 February 2019 on National Theater stage.
Al-Khan’s The Return album is professionally written for a philharmonic orchestra and oriental instruments with Bahraini flavor. This album was performed by Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra recorded in one take (all performing together) then the oriental instruments were added. The total number of performers is 94 musicians, while the mixing and mastering is done in the UK by engineer Gareth Williams.
* The Return - Spirit of Bahrain Concert
- September 2018, Kodály Center, Hungary, with the Pannon Philharmonic Orchestra - November 2018, Cairo Opera House, Egypt; during the 27th Arab Music Festival, with the Cairo Symphony Orchestra - February 2019, Bahrain National Theater; in celebration of National Action Charter Day of Bahrain, with the Cairo Symphony Orchestra - April 2019, Hall No. 1, UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, with the French Sinfonia Pop Orchestra
Honors, Awards, and Achievements
- 1982: He established the first proper music school in the Kingdom of Bahrain, Classic Institute of Music
- 1986: Establishing the First 24-tracks audio recording studio in the Kingdom of Bahrain
- 1990: Achieved the State of Bahrain Award of Scientific Researched
- 2010: Advisor to World Expo Shanghai - Event department
- 2018: Honorary award at the Seven Hills Film Festival - Hungary
- Bahrain Pearl Divers Song, musical analysis published by GCC Folk Center in Qatar
- Liwa in the Gulf countries a musical gathering and documenting --published by Folklore center in Qatar
- Bahrain Pearl diver’s songs 2nd edition musical analysis published: ministry of Culture Bahrain 2006
- Bahrain Pearl Divers Songs 3rd edition 2018
- "Waheed Alkhan". Waheed Alkhan.
- "Waheed Alkhan in Cairo Interview". Waheed Alkhan in Cairo Interview. ahramonline.
- "Grand Bahraini-French Concert, conducted by Maestro Waheed Al khan". Bahrain Authority for Culture and Antiquities.
|Review waiting, please be patient.
This may take 8 weeks or more, since drafts are reviewed in no specific order. There are 4,116 pending submissions waiting for review.