|Peter Veldman, Founder and President (1979-2014)|
Mike Joines, President (2014-Present)
|Products||Tires, wheels, auto accessories|
Number of employees
In 1979, automotive parts and service business owner Peter "Pete" Veldman came up with his business idea for the Tire Rack after his son-in-law Mike Joines was frustrated when he couldn't find tires for his Opel Manta sports coupe. Mike recommended that they start a mail-order tire company that stocked a few of every tire. Although Pete convinced Mike to help him open a retail store instead, they had so many phone orders that they eventually shut down the retail location and opened more phone lines. Three years after opening the store, Tire Rack got into the mail order business and by 1990 the store was shut down.
By 2005, Tire Rack had grown into a nation-wide company that distributes more than 2 million tires annually. The company now offers 24 tire brands and has nine warehouses in eight states. Customers who pick up orders from a warehouse location are offered a discount.
After 26 years of being a privately-owned family company, Los Angeles-based investment group Leonard Green & Partners took a 49% stake in the company with the Veldman family controlling the majority 51%.
Pete Veldman passed away on March 14, 2014 at the age of 87. Pete's son-in-law Mike Joines succeeded him as president.
Tire Rack has been the title sponsor of the National Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Solo program since 1995 - a club that allows driving enthusiasts to compete at a local level.
- O'Donnell, Jayne (17 December 2003). "Family rolling to success on Tire Rack". USA Today. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- "Tire Rack founder remembered for energy, vision". Tire Business. March 4, 2014. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- Ulrich, Bob (November 2, 2017). "'I'm Tired of My Supplier Competing Against Me': Online Sales Remain a Sore Point". Modern Tire Dealer. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- Brown, Warren (25 December 2005). "Hands-on and Still the Big Wheel at Tire Rack". Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- "Tire Rack Frequently Asked Questions". Tirerack.com. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "Investment Group to Take 49 Percent Share in The Tire Rack, Report Says". Aftermarket News. 15 June 2005. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- Allen, Kevin (March 14, 2014). "Pete Veldman leaves a legacy of generosity". South Bend Tribune. Retrieved 17 June 2018.