Draft:The Goon (film)
|draft article. It is a work in progress open to editing by anyone. Please ensure core content policies are met before publishing it as a live Wikipedia article at The Goon (film). |
|Please note: This draft should not be submitted for review / moved to the mainspace until filming has begun, per WP:NFF.|
|Directed by||Tim Miller|
|Based on||The Goon|
by Eric Powell
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
In June, 2008 it was announced on the Goon official site that a CG animated film of The Goon was to be produced by Blur Studio and David Fincher and written by Eric Powell. Clancy Brown will voice The Goon and Paul Giamatti will be Franky. A release date has not yet been specified, nor has a plot. The film's future is uncertain as it has had trouble procuring funds. The film's poster states that it will be released theatrically. The first trailer from the film was released on 20 July 2010. In January 2012, Powell updated the film status, saying, "The Goon is in the exact same position it's been in for the past couple of years. Prepping the design and script while searching for funding."
On October 12, 2012, Blur Studio and Fincher launched a 30-day Kickstarter, an on-line fundraising campaign, titled "The Goon" Movie... let's KICKSTART this sucker!!!," to raise $400,000 to finance a story reel for the entire film. The Kickstarter page also explained why they need the money: "The Goon Film has NEVER been in production. All the work you've seen (animation footage, trailers, artwork, etc.) has been produced independently and out-of-pocket by the creative team of David Fincher, Eric Powell, Blur Studio and Dark Horse Entertainment. We created "proof of concept" footage to show Hollywood the incredible potential of a Goon movie. It was very well received BUT because this movie isn't a sequel or filled with dancing animals we'll need more to bust open the gates and UNLEASH Goon and Franky on Hollywood." Two days before the deadline, the landmark was achieved, and the campaign closed on November 11, 2012, raising $441,900 from 7,576 backers. No release date has been announced yet. On July 26, 2017, Blur Studios and Tim Miller teased an upcoming announcement regarding the film and said it "would happen".
- Trumbore, Dave (May 16, 2019). "'The Goon' in Development at Long Last Through Disney's Fox with Chernin Group". Collider. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Barton, Steve (July 20, 2010). "San Diego Comic-Con 2010: Check Out the First Footage from The Goon". Dread Central. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Fischer, Russ (July 24, 2009). "Comic-Con: Voices of Clancy Brown and Paul Giamatti In The Goon; No Director Announced". /Film. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- White, Tom (September 14, 2011). "David Fincher's THE GOON Movie Still Has No Money But Does Have New PSA!". WhatCulture!. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Quint (March 14, 2009). "AICN Exclusive! Your first look at the animated GOON movie, produced by David Fincher!!!". Ain't It Cool News. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Williams, Owen (July 20, 2010). "First Footage From The Goon Online". Empire Online. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Powel, Eric (January 26, 2012). "The Goon Film Status". Eric Powell. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (October 12, 2012). "David Fincher And Blur Studio Stump For 'The Goon' Funds On Kickstarter". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- ""The Goon" Movie... let's KICKSTART this sucker!!!". Kickstarter. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- "You did it!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!! @Goonguy". Twitter. November 9, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Amidi, Amid (November 13, 2012). "'The Goon' Kickstarter Sets New Crowdfunding Record For An Animated Project". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Chitwood, Adam (July 26, 2017). "Tim Miller Talks 'The Goon' Movie, Leaving 'Deadpool 2', and Goes Comic Book Shopping". Collider. Retrieved May 23, 2019.