Draft:Saint Maria Hill
|St. Maria Hill or Maria the Saint|
Гора святой Марии
St. Maria Hill or Maria the Saint — place of interest not far from Rostov, including monuments of nature and culture. It is situated near village Krasnoramenye, Petrovsk settlement, Rostov district, Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia. The natural santury is on the bank of river Sara and has also archeological objects: hillfort of the iron era with middle-age cemetery, a burial ground and places of ancient settlements.
Mention in chronicles
Hill was first mentioned in the description of the battle on Lipitza in 1216.
«Then they armed Vsevolod with detachments and sent to Constantin, they themselves went down Volga, after they left the baggage cart, sat on the horses and went to Pereslavi fighting on the way. When they stood near Hillfort on the river Sara at St. Maria church on the 9th of April, Easter, prince Constantin with Rostov citizens came. He was happy and kissed the cross and sent Vladimir from Pskov with detachment to Rostov. They themselves stayed opposite Pereslavi where they came on Low sunday».
The territory was abandoned in XVI-XVII centuries and mentioned later in 1685 as
«Maria of Egypt church land of Pereslavl-Zalessky Konyutsky camp near village Yudin on Sara river: the owner of the plot Anton Vasilyev Beklernishev».
Archeological monuments are decorated by nature: greenwood, oaks, maples, black alder, elms and ash trees. Biologists discovered representatives of flora and wildlife, introduced into the “Red Book”. There is also the well “Saint Maria” at the bottom of the hill, still worshipped by local people.
The first published information of St. Maria Hill dates back to 1789:
«It should be mentioned as in the suburbs of the village across the river Sara to Pereslavi Zalessky direction there is a rather high hill with forests but on the top it has a plain ground, where there had been a monastery in ancient times».»
Topographic maps of the XVIII, XIX and the beginning of the XXth centuries show demarcations of the borders of three spots with names: “Saint Maria”, “ Kolokolenka (Bell tower)”, “Popovka (priest`s lot)”, that prove existence of the church lot here. A.A.Titov, well known local historian paid special attention to this unique site:
«About two miles from the village Krasnokamenye there is a steep and rather high hill, covered with forests; it is near river Sara. The view from the hill is very pleasant; the hill is known as Saint Maria Hill and you can trace remains of burial mound. Folk legend says that there had been St.Maria monastery burnt by enemies and now you can see some traces of buildings. Between the hill and river Sara there is the so called “Marya Saint” well, not deep and according to the local legend it appeared after the biggest bell had fallen down during the defeat of the monastery. In general this hill needs deep investigations; this would help to see the history of the territory in a new aspect».
Archeologists of the XXth century: D.A. Ushakov, A.E. Leontyev, K.I. Komarov carried out some studies, made up plans of excavations, the monuments were put on protection. Every scientist mentioned the beauty of the place and its importance in cultural heritage. Historical experts of the museum “Rostov Kremlin” A.L.Karetnikov, A.V.Kiselyov, I.V.Kuptsov published some scientific articles on the basis of surveys of the place at the beginning of the XXIst century.
Imminence to heritage
Saint Maria hiil is suuffering an irreparable harm right now. Black diggers came to the natural boundary in 2005-2005 that damaged the place greatly. On the 29th of August 2014 the government of Yaroslavl region gave the permission LLC “Nikintskiy karier” to use the place for getting sand, pebble, gravel, which was also a great crime. Only after they found out that the territory possessed the archeological monuments of federal importance.
In 2015 Yaroslavl eparchy of Russian Orthodox Church made an application to include the site remarcable Saint Maria Hill into the Register of protected objects of cultural heritage. The order was issued on the 21St of September 2015».
Le 21 septembre 2015 le département de protection du patrimoine culturel a émis un avis favorable et inscrit le mont au registre..
The site attracts attention both tourists and pilgrims and schoolchildren. During special visits organized by people in 2015 the territory was taken care of, the road that leads from village Filirnonovo to St. Maria Hill got signs, the small bridge and the path to the Saint well were repaired.
- Повесть о битве на Липице / подг. текста, перевод и комментарии Я. С. Лурье // Библиотека литературы Древней Руси. СПб., Т. 5. XIII век. С. 76-77.
- Описание документов и бумаг хранящихся в Московском архиве министерства юстиции. Книга вторая. СП-б, 1872. С. 134.
- Новый и полный географический словарь Российского государства Ч.VI. М., 1789. С. 104, 105.
- Федеральный закон от 25.06.2002 N 73-ФЗ (ред. от 30.12.2015) «Об объектах культурного наследия (памятниках истории и культуры) народов Российской Федерации» (с изм. и доп., вступ. в силу с 01.01.2016). Статья 3.
- Приказ Департамента охраны объектов культурного наследия Ярославской области 007 в/15 от 21.09.2015 г. Ярославль. 
- See on Wikimapy
- Initiative group — Hill of saint Mary
- The hill of saint Mary on portal of Yaroslavl tourism agency
- Panorama of the hill of saint Mary
- On site of the «Rostov kremlin museun»
- Ancient lots: «Popovka, Kolokolenka, Marya svyataya» on Mende atlas 1857
Category:Cultural heritage Category:Conservation and restoration Category:Russia Category:Geography of Russia Category:Russian tourist routes Category:Golden Ring of Russia Category:Cities and towns in Yaroslavl Oblast