Museum of Art & Photography
The Museum of Art & Photography (MAP) is an art museum based in Bangalore, India that will manage collections of Indian art, textiles, photography, craft and design objects spanning from the 12th century to the present.
Currently under construction, it will open in 2020 as a private art museum.
The MAP will include over 15,000 artworks, predominantly from the Indian subcontinent. The collections are organised into six departments: Modern & Contemporary Art, Photography, Folk & Tribal Art, Popular Culture, Pre-Modern Art and Textiles, Craft & Design.
In December 2018, MAP published a book on Gond-Pardhan artist - Jangarh Singh Shyam written by Dr. Jyotindra Jain. The book includes transcripts of his final letter to his wife, Nankushiya, and his mother, Adharabai, a few days before his death to try and explain his frame of mind.
The museum is located on Kasturba Road in Bengaluru. The designs for the 44,000 square feet museum include 5 galleries, an auditorium, research library, classroom, restoration lab, storage and sculpture garden. Designed by Mathew & Ghosh Architects, the construction is overseen by an architectural committee that includes Rahul Mehrotra, Mahrukh Tarapor and the late Martand Singh.
- Aug 6, Bangalore Mirror Bureau | Updated; 2017; Ist, 01:00. "The Rs 100-crore dream". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Ramdev, Darshana (2017-08-05). "Now in the heart of Bengaluru, it's Namma 'Guggenheim'". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Iyengar, Radhika (September 9, 2018). "How the Museum of Art & Photography is preserving Bengal's printing history". Livemint. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- Bhuyan, Avantika (January 31, 2019). "India Art Fair 2019: The Museum of Art & Photography (MAP) displays an exceptional collection". Architectural Digest. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- "Inside What Will Be India's Biggest Photography Museum". Man's World India. 2018-04-17. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "A Conjurer's Archive: Jangarh Singh Shyam's art gets its due in thought-provoking exhibition - Firstpost". www.firstpost.com. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Tripathi, Shailaja (2019-01-03). "A new book exploring the oeuvre of the much-celebrated artist Jangarh Singh Shyam". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Music in the dots: Jangarh Singh Shyam and the mythic dimensions of his work". The Sunday Guardian Live. 2018-12-08. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Karthik, Aparna (March 18, 2018). "Bengaluru to house world class art, photo museum". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- Tripathi, Shailaja (August 10, 2019). "The Museum of Art and Photography in Bengaluru is opening a photography conservation centre". The Hindu. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- Bhasti, Deepa (April 20, 2016). "Artists Protest Collector's Takeover of Indian Museum". Hyperallergic. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- "Bangalore To Get India's First Art & Photography Museum With 15,000 Artworks Over 4 Floors | LBB". LBB, Bangalore. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Museum of Art & Photography Website
- Art & Photography Foundation India
- MAP Foundation
- Google Arts & Culture - MAP Partnership