Draft:Lien Choong Luen (2)
Lien Choong Luen
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
London Business School
|Occupation||GM of Go-Jek Singapore, mountain climber, sprinter|
|Known for||Second Singaporean to climb both Mount Everest and K2|
Lien Choong Luen (Chinese: 连仲伦) is a Singaporean adventurer, athlete, technological consultant and businessman. In 2014, he became only the second Singaporean to have climbed both the Mount Everest and the K2. He has also skied to the North Pole, ran the Gobi March ultramarathon, and won medals at the Asia Masters Athletics Championships in sprint events. He is currently the general manager of Go-Jek Singapore.
Life and career
Lien studied mathematics at the University of California, Berkeley, on a Singapore Armed Forces Overseas Scholarship, and was awarded UC Berkeley Chancellor's Scholarship which is the highest undergraduate award at Berkeley. In 2000, he graduated from Cambridge University with a master's degree in pure mathematics. He then obtained an MBA from the London Business School with distinction. In addition, he also has a diploma with high distinction from the University of Malaya in Strategic Studies.
Lien climbed his first mountain, Mount Shasta, in 1999, while studying at the University of California, Berkeley. He served the Singapore Armed Forces for eleven years as a senior commander, and worked for the consulting firm McKinsey & Company as a strategy consultant in technology and consumer domains for five years first in China, then in South-East Asia, as the SEA Head for the McKinsey Centre for Government. He also served in the United Nations peacekeeping team in East Timor, before assisting Sierra Leone in rebuilding their healthcare sector after the Ebola outbreak.
Lien climbed Mount Everest in 2010 and K2 in 2014, becoming the second Singaporean to have climbed both of the highest mountains in the world after Khoo Swee Chiow. He has also climbed the highest mountains of Europe and the Americas. Apart from mountaineering, Lien has taken part in other extreme sports such as running the 250-km Gobi March ultramarathon across the Gobi Desert in 50° C heat in 2005, and skiing to the North Pole in 2011. In May 2016, he won the gold medal in 800 metres and a silver medal in the 4 × 400 metres relay, representing Singapore at the Asia Masters Athletics Championships. In 2017, Lien joined the National Research Foundation of the Government of Singapore, handling research and innovation processes in the country's companies. In February 2019, he was named general manager of Go-Jek Singapore.
- "Helping S'poreans scale new heights". AsiaOne. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Gojek Singapore's new GM is Lien Choong Luen, the man who climbed Mount Everest and skied to the North Pole". The Straits Times. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Mt Everest climber and N. Pole skier is Gojek's new GM". The Straits Times. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Lien Choong Luen, 2nd Singaporean to climb Mount Everest, is new Go-Jek GM". The Independent. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Athletics: Lien Choong Luen finds peak form on return". The Straits Times. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Go-Jek taps exec from Singapore's National Research Foundation as local GM". Tech In Asia. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Gojek appoints consultant Lien Choong Luen as Singapore general manager". The Business Times. Retrieved 6 March 2019.