Draft:Liberté: A Call To Spy (film)
"Liberté: A Call to Spy" is a 2019 World War II spy drama, inspired by true stories. The film is written and produced by Sarah Megan Thomas, directed by Lydia Dean Pilcher, and starring Sarah Megan Thomas, Stana Katic, Radhika Apte, Linus Roache and Rossif Sutherland. The film is the first feature about Virginia Hall, Vera Atkins and Noor Inayat Khan, who worked for the British Special Operations Executive (“SOE”), also known as Churchill's Secret Army.
The film premiered in International Competition at Edinburgh International Film Festival in the month that commemorated the 75th anniversary of D-Day. Scotland is where SOE spies historically trained. The film received positive reviews from critics with praise for the "exceptional performances from the three women leads".
Winston Churchill hastily creates “SOE,” a spy organization to disrupt the Nazi war machine. Its mission in France: place spies everywhere to conduct sabotage and subversion. But the British don't have experienced spies for this new type of warfare. SOE resorts to recruiting women. The “spymistress,” Vera Atkins, recruits two unusual candidates: Virginia Hall, an ambitious American with a wooden leg and Noor Inayat Khan, a Muslim pacifist. Together, these women form a sisterhood while entangled in dangerous missions to build a new spy network and help stop Hitler.
Sarah Megan Thomas as Virginia Hall
Rossif Sutherland as Doctor Chevain
Liberté: had its world premiere at the Edinburgh International Film Festival on June 21, 2019.
The film received positive reviews in the UK. “Live for Films” wrote: “A remarkable film. A rare beast. That evocative 1940s wartime setting is beautifully shot, the narrative is tight and tense, the emphasis on the women’s roles is handled with power and also a huge sense of respect.... It’s an engrossing, tense spy thriller, a heavy emotional experience, and comes with some exceptional performances from the three women leads, the story having added force knowing that it is based on real events”.
- Petski, Denise; Petski, Denise (2018-04-13). "Stana Katic, Sarah Megan Thomas & Radhika Apte To Star In Female-Driven WWII Thriller". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- ""Liberte: A Call To Spy" Will Debut At Edinburgh International Film Festival - Top 10 Films". Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "Radhika Apte to essay role of a World War II heroine in 'Liberte: A Call to Spy'". The Economic Times. 2019-06-22. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "BBC Scotland - BBC Scotland - The secret Scottish Highland training camps used to prepare British spies for life behind World War Two enemy lines". BBC. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "EIFF 2019 Review – Liberté: A Call to Spy – "A remarkable film" | Live for Films". Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "The Afternoon Show with Grant Stott". Radio Times. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- Joe. "Liberte a Call to Spy | The W o o l a m a l o o Gazette". Retrieved 2019-07-10.
|Review waiting, please be patient.
This may take 8 weeks or more, since drafts are reviewed in no specific order. There are 4,135 pending submissions waiting for review.