Independent Label Market
The Independent Label Market is an open market founded by Joe Daniel and Katie Riding that provides a venue for the proprietors of over 160 independent record labels to sell their products to the public. The market also provides an opportunity for listeners to meet the founders of record labels and some of the artists.
The Independent Label Market was first set up in May 2011 on Berwick Street, London, United Kingdom, and has since returned twice a year to Old Spitalfields Market. The market is held in conjunction with the London Brewers Market.
Some of the labels that take part in the market include Rough Trade, Mute, XL, Domino, Fabric, 4AD, DFA Records, Angular Records, R&S, Infectious, Bella Union and Fool's Gold. Notable appearances at the market's stalls include Diplo, Gilles Peterson, Coldcut, Daniel Miller, Simon Raymonde, Erol Alkan, Tim Burgess and Edwyn Collins.
Many recordings on vinyl are to be found at the market stalls. As well, some artists have made special releases available exclusively at the various markets. Some examples of these have been: 200 signed copies of Portishead’s ‘Chase the Tear’ 12” where all profits from the sales went to Amnesty International, Young Turks auction of the only copy of a Jamie xx remix of Radiohead’s ‘Bloom’, Richard Russell’s 20 hand-made rave/grime/garage/jungle/dubstep mixtapes for the XL stall, and the only signed copy of Elton John’s “Are You Ready For Love” on pink, half speed cut 220gsm vinyl.
The labels that have taken part in the markets are:
- Report: Independent Label Market 2014
- “Independent Label Market 2013” Bang On PR [retrieved 22/04/2013]
- “Independent Label Market 2012” Clash Music [retrieved 22/04/2013]
- “Biggest Ever Independent Label Market” Association of Independent Music [retrieved on 22/04/2013]
- “Label of Love: The Independent Label Market” BBC, [retrieved 22/04/2013]
- BBC - 6Music News - Independent Label Market
- Erased Tapes founder Robert Raths on the Independent Label Market / In Depth // Drowned In Sound
- Matt Berninger on why the National’s new album has a lighter touch - The Globe and Mail
- “Independent Label Market Returns to LA for the second time” IAMSOUND Records, [retrieved 22/04/2013]
- “Arts & Crafts, Paper Bag, Dine Alone, Outside Team Up for Independent Label Market at NXNE” Exclaim [retrieved 23/05/13]
- “Fourth Independent Label Market in July” The Quietus [retrieved 23/05/13]
- News: Independent Label Market Heads to Glasgow « Amazing Radio
- “Independent Label Market and London Brewers' Market” TimeOut London, [retrieved 22/04/2013]
- “Vinyl Valhalla” The New York Times [retrieved 22/04/13]