Dwijesh Dutta Majumdar
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dwijesh Dutta Majumder
|Alma mater||University of Calcutta|
|Institutions||Indian Statistical Institute|
Dwijesh Kumar Dutta Majumder INSA is a Professor Emeritus in the Computer and Communication Science Division of the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata and Honorary Director-Secretary of the Institute of Cybernetics Systems and Information Technology in the same city. He is also an Emeritus Scientist of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, operated by the Government of India.
Dwijesh Kumar Dutta Majumder obtained a BSc (Hons) in physics honors with a First Class First distinction from Guwahati University before studying at the University of Calcutta, where he was awarded an MSc (Tech.) in 1955 and a PhD in 1962 in Radiophysics and Electronics.
Majumdar worked for the Computer Development and Research Division of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) and there helped to develop magnetic memory systems and other digital electronic circuits. In particular, he had a role in building the first solid state transistorised computer in India, which was called ISI-JU-1.
In 1964, Majumdar visited the University of Michigan, USA, to work with N. R. Scott on computer system design, pattern recognition and problems related to both computer and human memory, He was awarded a UNDP Fellowship for this purpose.
Majumdar subsequently became Head of the Computer and Communication Sciences Unit, Professor-in-Charge of Physical & Earth Sciences Division, and Joint Secretary and Joint Director of ISI. He has published around 500 research and several books.
Majumdar has received recognition for his work, including:
- Norbert Wiener Award (1977)
- P. C. Mahalanobis Medal (1993)
- J. L. Nehru Birth Centenary Lecture Award of INSA (1994)
- Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Award (1996)
- Frank George Research Award (1999)
- Rathindra Purashkar from Viswa Bharathi University (2001)
- Professor Jnan Chandra Ghosh Award from Bengal Science Association (2003)
- Life-time Achievement Award from INAE (2004)
- Norbert Wiener Award of Excellence from Western Oklahoma State College (WOSC) (2005)
- National Vasvik Award (2008)
- Majumder, Dutta, ed. (1978). Pattern Recognition and Digital Techniques. Statistical Publishing Society, Calcutta, Indian Statistical Institute.
- Majumder, Dutta; Das, J. (1982). Digital Computer's Memory Technology. Wiley Eastern India Ltd.
- Majumder, D. Dutta, ed. (1982). Advances In Information Science and Technology. Statistical Publishing Society, Calcutta, Indian Statistical Institute.
- Majumder, D. Dutta; Pal, S. K. (1985). Fuzzy Mathematical Approach in Pattern Recognition. Wiley Eastern India Ltd.
- Majumder, D. Dutta; Chaudhuri, B. B. (1993). Two-tone Image Processing and Recognition. Wiley Eastern Ltd. New Delhi. ISBN 978-81-224-0484-5.
- Majumder, D. Dutta; Chanda, B. (2003). Digital Image Processing and Analysis. Prentice Hall India.
- Majumder, D. Dutta; Chanda, B., eds. (2009). Pattern Directed Information Analysis. New Age International.
- Majumder, D. Dutta; Chakraborty, Debjani; Nanda, S., eds. (2007). Fuzzy Logic and Its Application in Technology and Management. Narosa Publishing House.
- Majumder, D. Dutta; Karan, S. (2013). "Magnetic Properties of Ceramic Nanocomposites". Ceramic Nanocomposites. Woodhead Publishing.
- "INSA :: Indian Fellow Detail". www.insaindia.res.in.
- Bibek Sharma. "PReMI-2017 Kolkata, India". isical.ac.in. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "DSpace at Indian Statistical Institute: Browsing DSpace". library.isical.ac.in:8080. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Prof Dwijesh Dutta Majumder | Indian Statistical Institute | ISI". ResearchGate. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Dhar, S. (1998). Proceedings of the International Conference on Computers and Devices for Communication. Allied Publishers. p. 32. ISBN 9788170237679. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "dblp: D. Dutta Majumder". dblp.uni-trier.de. Retrieved 7 November 2017.