|Draft article not currently submitted for review.
This is a draft Articles for creation (AfC) submission. It is not currently pending review. There are no deadlines as long as you are actively improving the submission. Drafts not being improved may be deleted after six months.
Note: The submission-received box will appear at the bottom of the page at first. If it's there, your draft has been submitted correctly.
|Full name||Clutton Athletic Football Club|
|Ground||Warwick Field, Clutton|
|League||Somerset County League Premier Division|
Clutton A.F.C is 129 years old so it should have a lot of history. the club was formed in 1890. The earliest set of minutes held is from 1918 just after the Great War ended. During those 129 years the club has played in many different leagues such as the Bristol & Suburban League, Somerset Senior League, Church of England League, Bristol & District League and the Mid Somerset League.
They have played at many different grounds as well. The first pitch the club set foot on was nine acres which is just behind the current ground. For a couple of seasons the club played at tile down in Temple Cloud. After the first world war was over the club moved back to nine acres. In 1930 the club moved to red Hayes which was just between Clutton and Temple cloud. In 1945 the swans moved for the last time to the Warwick field where they have been ever since.
so who are some of the best players to graced the Warwick Field in the blue shirts, Ernie Simmons played for Portsmouth and was in the FA Cup Final squad of 1939 when they beat Wolves 4-1 and lifted the trophy, although he didn’t play, he later returned to play for Bath City. Percy Maggs played in goal for Aston Villa and Torquay United. Donnie Gillies joined the club in 1988 after an illustrious career at Ashton Gate and Eastville, other notables include Bernie Williams and Paul Harrington both of whom played for Bath City.
The swans currently play at the Warwick field They have been at the ground since 1945. For 64 years the club did not own the ground but in 2009 the ground was purchased from Greene King, this ensured the club would still play in the village. After the purchase there where some upgrades added to the ground such as a new clubhouse and changing room.