|Headquarters||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|M. M. Murugappan|
|Products||Abrasives, electro minerals, industrial ceramics, super refractories|
|Revenue||INR 22 billion (2014) (as on 31 March 2014)|
Carborundum Universal Ltd (CUMI), a part of Murugappa Group, is one of the largest and oldest conglomerates in India. CUMI is the leading manufacturer and developer of abrasives, ceramics, refractories, aluminium oxide grains, machine tools, polymers, adhesives and electro minerals in India. CUMI is the only abrasive manufacturer with the diversification.
The company has subsidiaries in India, Russia, South Africa, Australia, China, Thailand and Canada.
CUMI was established as a result of diversification from banking business through cycle manufacturing with the intent to manufacture abrasive materials. CUMI's parent company, the Murugappa Group, made a tie up with the Carborundum, UK, a subsidiary of American abrasive manufacturer, Carborundum, USA and the Universal Grinding Co. Ltd., UK in 1950. The result was the Carborundum Universal of Madras. Then it was renamed and incorporated in 1954 as Carborundum Universal Ltd (CUMI).
Initially CUMI was founded to manufacture the core products for the collaborating companies. Later the company established its first bonded abrasive plant at Chennai with the facility acquired from Ajax Products and began its manufacturing in the abrasives platform. With the intention of producing technical ceramics for high temperature insulation products CUMI has made joint venture with Morgan Crucible Plc. UK resulted in the establishment of Murugappa Morgan Thermal Ceramics Ltd in 1982
The company has laid a strong foundation in Engineered Ceramics through number of joint ventures. In 1991 Wendt (India) Ltd, a joint ventured company of Wendt GmbH, Germany and The House of Khataus, was merged with the CUMI. CUMI's first Industrial Ceramics division was established in Hosur, Tamil Nadu as a technical partnership with Coors Ceramics, USA in 1991. Later it was expanded with the unique Metallized Cylinders Plant.
As a part of expanding their presence, in 2005 the company started CUMI Middle East FZE in Ras Al Khaimah. In order to strengthen their global presence CUMI bought Abrasive Enterprises Inc., Canada, for $2.24 Million by 2006. After a year CUMI established CUMI International Ltd in Cyprus.
With in a decade, after the withdrawal of the collaborators, CUMI acquired Ajax Products Pvt Ltd. CUMI stepped up in abrasive industries by acquiring the Eastern Abrasives Ltd, Kolkata in 1978. In 1997 Cutfast Abrasive Tools Ltd, Eastern Abrasive Ltd, Cutfast Polymers Ltd and Carborundum Universal Investment are joined with Carborundum Universal Ltd. With in a year of acquisition of Sterling Abrasives Ltd and SEDCO in 2003, CUMI acquired CUMI Australia Pty Ltd., Australia. In 2007 the company took over a china based firm Sanhe Yanjiao Jingri Diamond Industrial Company Ltd and Russian Volzhsky Abrasive Works. The further acquisitions are followed in 2008, Foskor Zirconia Ltd, South Africa became a subsidiary of CUMI
Besides manufacturing, marketing and distribution CUMI also involved in a diversified works like mining, power generation and TOT agreements with various organizations. CUMI acquired Bauxite mines at Bhatia and Okha of Gujarat in India, Silicon Carbide plant in Koratty, Kerala and a Brown Aluminium Oxide grains Plant at Edapally, India. CUMI established a 12MW Hydroelectric power plant at Maniyar, Kerala in 1994 and a 5.5MW Wind mill at Nallur.
CUMI made a technology transfer with Answer Technology Inc., USA for advanced monolithics and a technical collaboration with National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology of India, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre of India and Pennsylvania State University of USA for the development of advanced ceramic technology.
CUMI Direct was started in the year of 2005. CUMI direct is selling
- Ware house Equipment - Pallet Truck, Stacker, Table Lifts, Movable Dock Ramps, Stationary Dock Leveler, Tail Lifts, Fork Lifts, Plastic Pallets, Caster Wheels.
- Material Handling Equipment - Shopping Trolley, Hand Cart
- Power-tools - CUMI power tools, METABO Power Tools
- Industrial Ceramics - CUMI Industrial Ceramics Products
- Electro Minerals - CUMI Electro Mineral Products
- Abrasives - CUMI Abrasive products - Thin Wheels, Rolls, Grinding Wheels, Non Woven Wheels, Coated Abrasives, Porous Tiles, Super Abrasives, Resonoid And Rubber, Vitrified Ranges
- Metal Working Fluids - Cleaner, Forming fluids, Neat Oils, Rust Preventives, Water Solubles.
- Strapping Tools - Tensioner, Sealer.
- Super Refractories products - Fired Refractories, Monolithic Products
Most of the products are granted CE and GS certificates.
The major divisions are:
- CUMI DIRECT direct - Online E commerce Platform
Product applications and materials
The range of applications of different divisions like material removal, polishing the rough surface, fine finishing by the Abrasives division, wear resistant, heat resistant, liners and metallized ceramics by the Ceramics division, heat resistant, containment products from Super refractories division and the raw materials for abrasives and refractories by the Electrominerals division.
- Agri Input products
- Wendt (India) Limited
- Murugappa Morgan Thermal Ceramics Ltd.
- Ciria India Limited
- CUMI Abrasives and Ceramics China Limited (CACCL)
- CUMI America Inc.
- CUMI Australia Pty. Ltd. (CAPL)
- CUMI Canada Inc.
- CUMI International Limited, Cyprus
- CUMI Middle East-RAK
- Cellaris Refractories India Limited
- Foskor Zirconia Pty Ltd-South Africa
- Net Access India Limited
- Southern Energy Development Corporation Limited (SEDCO)
- Sterling Abrasives Limited-Ahmedabad
- Volzhsky Abrasive Works-Russia
- LastName, FirstName (2009). India business yearbook, 2009. Noida, UP New Delhi: Vikas Pub. House Distributors, UBS Publishers' Distributors. ISBN 9788125930860. Pg. No: 171
- Kazmi, Azhar (2008). Strategic management and business policy. New Delhi: Tata McGraw Hill Education. ISBN 9780070263628.Pg. No: 214
- "Murugappa Morgan".
- "Murugappa group-3M battle over Wendt India enters new phase". The Economic Times-Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 9 March 2012.
- Rao, B. V. S. (1995). Ceramic powders for high-tech applications. Hyderabad London: Universities Press distributor Sangam. p. 104. ISBN 0863115608.
- "Abrasive Enterprises sold". CBC/Radio-Canada. 2 March 2006.
- "Cutfast Abrasives merges with CUMI". The Indian Express. 17 December 1997.
- "The Economic Times". Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 19 July 2013.
- Survey, Geological (2011). Minerals Yearbook 2008 Metals and Minerals. US: Government Printing Office. ISBN 9781411330153. Pg.No: 85-3
- Honningsvåg, Bjørn (2001). Hydropower in the new millennium : proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Hydropower Development, Hydropower '01, Bergen, Norway, 20-22 June 2001. Lisse, Netherlands Exton (PA: A.A. Balkema. ISBN 9789058091956.Pg. no: 223
- "Volzhky Abrasive Work".