|Draft article not currently submitted for review.
This is a draft Articles for creation (AfC) submission. It is not currently pending review. There are no deadlines as long as you are actively improving the submission. Drafts not being improved may be deleted after six months.
Note: The submission-received box will appear at the bottom of the page at first. If it's there, your draft has been submitted correctly.
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The title Baron Cobham has been created numerous times in the Peerage of England; often multiple creations have been extant simultaneously, especially in the fourteenth century.
The earliest creation was in 1313 for Henry de Cobham, Baron Cobham, who hailed from the County of Kent. The 11th Baron was attainted in 1603, but the peerage became abeyant instead of becoming extinct. In 1916, the attainder was removed and abeyance terminated in favor of the 15th Baron. Note that the 12th to 14th Barons never actually held the title. This creation became abeyant again in 1951.
In 1324, Sir Ralph de Cobham was summoned to Parliament as Baron Cobham, but this creation became extinct with the death of his son not before 1378.
A further creation came in 1347, when Reginald de Cobham was summoned to Parliament, also as Baron Cobham. However, this creation became abeyant in 1403, de jure in 1526.
There was not another creation until 1645, when John Brooke was created Baron Cobham, but this title became extinct upon his death in 1660.
There was a final creation in the Peerage of Great Britain in 1714 for Richard Temple, Baron Cobham, who was created Viscount Cobham four years later, with which the Barony has remained merged. He was grandson of Sir Peter Temple, 2nd Baronet and his wife Christian, daughter of Sir John Leveson and his wife Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Sondes and his wife Margaret Brooke, daughter of the 10th Baron Cobham of the first creation.
- 1 Barons Cobham (of Cobham, in Kent); First Creation (1313)
- 2 Barons Cobham; Second Creation (1324)
- 3 Barons Cobham (of Runham); Third Creation (1326)
- 4 Barons Cobham (of Sterborough); Fourth Creation (1347)
- 5 Barons Cobham; Fifth Creation (1645)
- 6 Barons Cobham; Sixth Creation (1714)
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Barons Cobham (of Cobham, in Kent); First Creation (1313)
- Henry de Cobham, 1st Baron Cobham (1260–1339)
- John de Cobham, 2nd Baron Cobham (d. 1354/1355)
- John de Cobham, 3rd Baron Cobham (d. 1408)
- Joan Oldcastle, 4th Baroness Cobham (d. 1434)
- Joan Brooke, 5th Baroness Cobham (d. 1442), her daughter by her second marriage
- Edward Brooke, 6th Baron Cobham (d. 1464)
- John Brooke, 7th Baron Cobham (d. 1512)
- Thomas Brooke, 8th Baron Cobham (d. 1529)
- George Brooke, 9th Baron Cobham (1497–1558)
- William Brooke, 10th Baron Cobham (1527–1597)
- Henry Brooke, 11th Baron Cobham (1564–1619) (attainted 1603)
- Sir William Brooke - would have been 12th Baron Cobham but for the attainder (1598–1643) (attainted peerage abeyant on death)
- William Boothby, 13th Baron Cobham (1721–1787) (abeyance of attainted peerage terminated in his favour in 1747)
- Mary Disney, 14th Baroness Cobham (1716–1789) (attainted peerage abeyant on death)
- Gervase Disney Alexander, 15th Baron Cobham (1880–1933) (abeyance and attainder terminated in 1916)
- Robert Disney Leith Alexander, 16th Baron Cobham (1885–1951) (abeyant on death)
Barons Cobham; Second Creation (1324)
- Ralph de Cobham, 1st Baron Cobham (d. 1325/1326)
- John de Cobham, 2nd Baron Cobham (1324/1325-aft. 1378) (extinct)
Barons Cobham (of Runham); Third Creation (1326)
- Stephen de Cobham, 1st Baron Cobham (d. 1332)
- John de Cobham, 2nd Baron Cobham (1319–1362)
- Thomas Cobham, 3rd Baron Cobham (1343–1394)
- Reynold Cobham, 4th Baron Cobham (d. 1405)
- Thomas Cobham, 5th Baron Cobham of Runham (d. 1429) (abeyant on death)
Barons Cobham (of Sterborough); Fourth Creation (1347)
- Reginald de Cobham, 1st Baron Cobham (c. 1295–1361)
- Reginald de Cobham, 2nd Baron Cobham (1348–1403)
- Reginald de Cobham, 3rd Baron Cobham de jure (1381-aft. 1446)
- Margaret de Cobham, 4th Baroness Cobham de jure (d. 1466-1471)
- Thomas Cobham, 5th Baron Cobham de jure (d. 1471)
- Anne Cobham, 6th Baroness of Cobham de jure (d. 1526) (abeyant on death)
Barons Cobham; Fifth Creation (1645)
- John Brooke, 1st Baron Cobham (d. 1660) (extinct)
Barons Cobham; Sixth Creation (1714)
- see Viscount Cobham
- "Cobham of Kent, Baron (E, 1313 - abeyant 1951)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk.