Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Alma mater||Delhi University, Ohio University|
|Known for||SWAT Capital, IGATE, Mastech Digital, and Ashoka University|
Ashok Trivedi is an entrepreneur, investor, and philanthropist best known as the Co-Founder and Co-Chairman of Mastech Inc. and IGATE. Born in Lucknow, India, Trivedi graduated from the University of Delhi, before moving to the United States of America where he earned his MBA from Ohio University.
Trivedi is currently a Managing Partner at SWAT Capital, and is focused on multiple philanthropic initiatives on behalf of his family foundation. Trivedi is a founder and trustee of Ashoka University which is located in the National Capital Region of India. Ashoka University is a private research university with a liberal arts focus. He currently resides in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Early life and education
Ashok Trivedi was born in Lucknow, India. He received his bachelor’s and master’s in physics from the University of Delhi. In 1973, Trivedi moved to the United States and earned a MBA from Ohio University. Additionally, he has attended the Owner/President Management Program at the Harvard Business School.
Ashok Trivedi started his career at Unisys Corp in 1976, where he held various marketing and management positions. He co-founded Mastech/IGATE, which became operational in 1988. Over the next decade, Trivedi focused on growing Mastech as a trusted IT partner to several global corporations.
By the 2000s, the company had expanded to 34 countries across North America, Europe, and Asia. The Indian sub-continent became the company's largest delivery hub. Under his leadership, IGATE recorded revenues of $1.2 billion and grew to 34,000 employees.
The company was featured among the five best companies to work at in India. CareerBliss, based on employee happiness and employee satisfaction quotients, identified IGATE among the twenty-five best companies to work for in the United States of America.
In addition to currently being part of Mastech Digital's board of directors, Trivedi also serves as a Managing Partner of SWAT Capital.
Trivedi established the Trivedi Family Foundation in 2015, which has supported numerous causes related to education, Indo-American relations and cultural inclusivity.
Ashok Trivedi is a Co-Founder and Trustee of Ashoka University, a private research university with a focus on liberal arts, located in the National Capital Region of India. It is recognized by the University Grants Commission in the sub-continent.
In 2015, the Trivedi Center for Political Data was set up at Ashoka University to help build datasets and authoritative knowledge on India’s political life, and to diffuse the same via an open-access platform. The Center has also partnered with Yale and the University of Michigan.
The Trivedi Family Foundation also supports Project Art, a non-profit program in the United States, to teach after-school art classes to underprivileged youth in public libraries. Trivedi's daughter Shivani is an active proponent for the cause, and helped establish the Pittsburgh chapter of Project Art.
He had been part of the US-India Security Council, USISC, a non-profit organization in the United States that focuses on bolstering security relations between the two countries.
Trivedi also promotes cultural inclusivity. He funds Silk Screen, a non-profit media arts organization in Pittsburgh. Trivedi also supported the American India Foundation and Pratham, a non-profit that works towards the provision of quality education for underprivileged children in India.
Ashok Trivedi was recognized as the EY Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young. He has also received several awards for his entrepreneurial skills and efforts by Inc. Magazine, the Association of Indians in America, and the American Society of Engineers of Indian Origin. Additionally, in 2017, Ashok Trivedi received the Banyan Tree Award at a ceremony in Peoria, Illinois. In May 2017, he received the Lifetime Achievement Award along with Sunil Wadhwani from the Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association.
He has also been recognized with the Distinguished Alumni Award by his alma mater, Ohio University.
Ashok Trivedi is a notable speaker, and was featured at the TiE Global Summit in 2016. He is also a founding/chartered member of TiE Pittsburgh. He has not been acknowledged as a global thought leader for his entrepreneurial success by the One Globe Forum. Trivedi also gave the commencement address at Duquesne University.
Ashok Trivedi is a Managing Partner at SWAT Capital. He invests globally in the public and private markets including primary, secondary, direct and co-investment opportunities.
Trivedi is also an active angel investor, having invested in 40+ early-stage companies across a diverse range of industries, including IT services, software, healthcare, life sciences, social media and financial services.
- "Sunil-Wadhwani-&-Ashok-Trivedi". siliconindia. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Big deal: Two IGate founders to get $1 billion | Gadgets Now". Gadget Now. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Individual Members of India Angel Network". www.indianangelnetwork.com. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Stock Quote News - Stock Market Quotes, Online Stock Quotes, India". IN. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "iGate brought in an intensive client-centric approach: Lanny Cohen". @businessline. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- Shivapriya, N. (2010-12-28). "iGate set to acquire Patni Computer in $1 bn deal". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "iGate completes acquisition of Patni Computers". The Economic Times. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "India's 20 best IT employers". Rediff. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- Mejia, Zameena (2018-01-18). "The top 25 US companies to work for if you want to be happier". CNBC. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "Capgemini to complete iGate merger by June, rules out job cuts". The Economic Times. 2016-02-11. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Reporter, B. S. (2015-04-28). "Capgemini acquires IGATE for $4 bn in all-cash deal". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "9 People Who Pocketed Millions: Capgemini-iGate Deal". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Capgemini Technology Services India History | Capgemini Technology Services India Information - The Economic Times". economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- (VCCircle.com), Madhav A Chanchani. "Indian Angel Network invests in French software firm Stelae". U.S. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "iGate President Joins VCampus Board". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Key People at Anik Industries | Reuters.com". U.S. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Stock Quotes & Mastech News | Reuters.com". U.S. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Editorial. "Governing Body at Ashoka University". Ashoka University. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- University, Ashoka. "The Trivedi Centre for Political Data: Making sense of India's politics through numbers". Ashoka University. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Khosla, Varuni (2016-03-08). "Ashoka University, Michigan University partner to set up Ashok Trivedi Centre for Political Data". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Carnegie Endowment for International Peace". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Our Sponsors". Silk Screen Film Festival. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Mr. Ashok Trivedi - SportEX Asia". SportEX Asia. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Trustees | Association of Indians in America". Association of Indians in America. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Awards Luncheon - University of Pittsburgh Innovation Institute". University of Pittsburgh Innovation Institute. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- Hub, TiE. "TiE Pittsburgh". Explara. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Ashok Trivedi - TiE Global Summit". tieglobalsummit.ocpwebserver.com. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Ashok Trivedi, Speaker One Globe Forum, Managing Partner, SWAT Capital 7th annual edition One Globe Forum will focus on Digital India, Smart Cities, Make In India, and Startup India". www.oneglobeforum.com. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- www.ETtech.com. "Igate co-founder Ashok Trivedi floats $500M family office - ETtech". ETtech.com. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Ashok Trivedi - Sarvint". Sarvint. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Ashok Trivedi Floats $500 Mn Corpus - Establishes Family Office For Investing In Early-Stage Tech Startups - Inc42 Media". Inc42 Media. 2016-12-27. Retrieved 2018-05-17.