1922–23 Paterson F.C. season
|American Soccer League||5th|
|National Challenge Cup||Winners|
|New Jersey State Football Association Cup||Winners|
|Top goalscorer||Frank McKenna (14)|
|Biggest win||6 goals |
6-0 vs. Hartford Rovers
(7 January 1923)
|Biggest defeat||3 goals |
0-3 at New York S.C.
(3 December 1922)
2-5 at J. & P. Coats F.C.
(19 May 1923)
The 1922-23 Paterson F.C. season was the first season for the club in the American Soccer League. Prior to the season, Adolph Buslik, a wealthy fur merchant, purchased the club as well as the former Falco F.C. franchise in the American Soccer League. The club finished the season in 5th place.
American Soccer League
|8 October 1922||Harrison S.C.||A||3-1||Herd, Duggan, Sweeney|
|21 October 1922||Philadelphia F.C.||A||0-0|
|22 October 1922||Bethlehem Steel F.C.||H||1-2||Hemingsley|
|29 October 1922||J. & P. Coats F.C.||H||2-1||Sweeney, McKenna|
|5 November 1922||Philadelphia F.C.||H||5-1||Duggan, Hemingsley, Sweeney, Murray, McKenna|
|18 November 1922||J. & P. Coats F.C.||A||2-3||Duggan, McKenna|
|19 November 1922||Fall River F.C.||A||0-0|
|3 December 1922||New York S.C.||A||0-3|
|10 December 1922||New York S.C.||A||6-3||Duggan (2), Murray, McKenna (3)|
|16 December 1922||Bethlehem Steel F.C.||A||2-2||Duggan, McKenna|
|13 January 1923||Bethlehem Steel F.C.||A||1-2||McKenna|
|4 February 1923||Fall River F.C.||A||2-0||McKenna (2)|
|4 March 1923||Harrison S.C.||H||3-0||Irvine, McKenna (2)|
|8 April 1923||Fall River F.C.||H||2-0||Duggan, McKenna|
|15 April 1923||Brooklyn Wanderers F.C.||H||2-1||McGuire, Smith|
|22 April 1923||Brooklyn Wanderers F.C.||H||2-2||Fryer, McKenna|
|6 May 1923||Bethlehem Steel F.C.||H||3-2||Duggan (2), Hemingsley||3,000|
|19 May 1923||J. & P. Coats F.C.||A||2-5||Murray (2)|
|20 May 1923||Fall River F.C.||A||0-1|
|3 June 1923||J. & P. Coats F.C.||H||0-2|
|1||J. & P. Coats F.C.||28||21||2||5||68||30||+38||44|
|2||Bethlehem Steel F.C.||28||18||6||4||59||26||+33||42|
|3||Fall River F.C.||28||15||5||8||53||36||+17||35|
|4||New York S.C.||23||10||4||9||53||42||+11||24|
|6||Brooklyn Wanderers F.C.||25||5||5||15||24||52||-28||15|
Pld = Matches played; W = Matches won; D = Matches drawn; L = Matches lost; GF = Goals for; GA = Goals against; Pts = Points
National Challenge Cup
|15 October 1922||First Round; Eastern Division
New Jersey District
|Harrison S.C.||H||forfeit win|
|5 November 1922||Second Round; Eastern Division
New Jersey District
|Entre Nous F.C.||A||forfeit win|
|26 November 1922||Third Round; Eastern Division
New York, New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania District
|American A.A. F.C.||A||2-0|
|7 January 1923||Fourth Round; Eastern Division
New York, New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania and Connecticut District
|Hartford Rovers||H||6-0||Fryer (2), McKenna (4)|
|11 March 1923||Semifinals; Eastern Division
New York and New Jersey District
|Paterson F.C.||at Harrison, N.J.||0-0|
|18 March 1923||Semifinals; Eastern Division
New York and New Jersey District (replay)
|Paterson F.C.||at Harrison, N.J.||4-1||Fryer, Duggan (2), Irvine|
|25 March 1923||Final; Eastern Division||J. & P. Coats F.C.||at Harrison Oval||3-2||Duggan (2), Irvine|
|1 April 1923||Final||Scullin Steel F.C.||at Harrison Field||2-2||Duggan, Hemingsley||15,000|
|1 April 1923||Final (replay)||Scullin Steel F.C.||at Harrison Field||forfeit win[note 1]|
- Scullin Steel was unable to field a complete team for the scheduled replay due to players who were obliged to report for baseball training camp and others who were injured.
Notes and references
- Jose, Colin (1998). The American Soccer League: The Golden Years of American Soccer 1921-1931. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. ISBN 978-0810834293.
- Cahill, Thomas W., ed. (1922). Spalding's Official "Soccer" Football Guide 1922-23. Spalding's "Red Cover" Series of Athletic Handbooks, No. 55R. New York: American Sports Publishing Company.
- Cahill, Thomas W., ed. (1923). Spalding's Official "Soccer" Football Guide 1923-24. Spalding's "Red Cover" Series of Athletic Handbooks, No. 55R. New York: American Sports Publishing Company.
- ""P" in Paterson Stands for Pep: Buslik Claims". Daily News. New York City. 1922-09-17. p. 44.
- Cahill, Thomas W., ed. (1923). Spalding's Official "Soccer" Football Guide 1923-24. Spalding's "Red Cover" Series of Athletic Handbooks, No. 55R. New York: American Sports Publishing Company. p. 94.
- "Baseball Forces Socker Champ to Lose Title". The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. 1923-04-08. p. 4D.